Discuss S/y cable ccc rating-tables in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to make a new supply cable for a rubbish compactor at our works as the original was damaged.

The compactor has a 32a 3p+e commando connection and about 2 metres is a 32a 3p+e connection outlet.

I'm trying to find a suitably sized s/y cable but I cannot find the right table. I've looked in the on site guide but nothing and looking in the regs I'm still a little lost.

Is it classed as an armoured cable??

Also on the supply connection it's one of the commandos with the screw tight connection but I cannot find a 32a 3p+e commando socket with this locking option.

Thanks

As above, SY is not recognised under BS standards and is designed to a German standard if I recall, it should not be a choice of cable for this type of job either, it is initially designed as a screened control cable and is often misused and often it can be a safety issue as the screening was often not been effectively earthed thus under certain fault scenarios it become live thus just waiting for anyone to get a nasty shock of it if not worse, I have even seen it used as the earth which again it is not suitable for, if mechanical damage is a potential then a suitable SWA or steel conduit to an isolator.

If we are low risk of mechanical damage then I would be looking at possible using a HO7RN-F checking it is suitable for the environment (chemicals etc).

Last edited:
You can use sy but the screening needs earthing (not used as a earth) use TX glands . It will not conform to the regs but then the regs don't really cover bailers anyway . Don't know the current carrying capacity for this cable , but as it a short length going above is not going to cost much

You can use sy but the screening needs earthing (not used as a earth) use TX glands . It will not conform to the regs but then the regs don't really cover bailers anyway . Don't know the current carrying capacity for this cable , but as it a short length going above is not going to cost much
You are correct in the the BS7671 not covering the machine but that been said the SY still does not meet relevant British cabling Standards that to which our other regulations would require for its use with them be it the BS7671 or the standards the bailer comes under 'BS60204-1' been the likely standard , the OP would need to provide the relevant risk assessment paperwork to use this cable and in doing so he really needs to know all the details and limitations of the cable..... it is simpler to use a cable recognised to our British cabling standards hence my suggestion of HO7RN-F which is a rubber flex suitable for industrial environments due its resistance to common industrial oils and coolants, it is likely the SY also doesn't suit said installation for this reason, it is still one of the most misused cables in our industry, the braiding is not an Armour even though it does get that label even on some suppliers sites, it goes without saying it gives added protection but this is consequence of its original design purpose, it should not be chosen for this use as a tough wear cable as the outer clear sheath is not designed for rough environments, even when used for low voltage supplies with screening like say to a 3ph motor from a VSD and given correct earthing of the braid it must be noted it still requires other mechanical protection if the environment poses a risk to limit the chances of a fault current down the braid, the braid will more often than not fall below the requirements to carry a fault current it may be subject to, not that it can't carry the fault, just that it's CSA will not be compliant in a lot of the SY I see on the UK market, this will lead to possible damage of cable and/or tripping times of protective devices not meeting regulation.

The SY has been covered above, Eland cables classify it as armoured cable from 4D4A, I would tend to say it was PVC/PVC multicore myself, but manufacturers should know best. (They also say it shouldn't to be used for connection to the public supply)
Distribution zone have the 3p+E IP67 wall sockets (not sure what type you want).

Last edited by a moderator:
Another issue that SY will throw up with this install is it's lack of UV tolerance.

The outer sheath wont last too long being in sunlight.

@Richard Burns
I think the 'shouldn't be used for connection to public supplies' is in reference to using it as tails etc to a cutout, this does not stop it been used as a low voltage power cable.
@Rob
I left the UV tolerance or the lack of it out as there is no mention of outdoor use from the OP, my post was long enough as it already stood ;)

Reply to S/y cable ccc rating-tables in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net