Discuss safe zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

crow11

-
Reaction score
my mate as rang me up as he is having a new kitchen fitted by b&q, they are doing the full lot electrics as well, they are putting 2 new feeds in 1 for the built in oven and 1 for the combination microwave, the house is only about 5 years old and they said they are going to have run 2 x 2.5 t&e behind the coving surface mounted which means it is going through 3 rooms behind the coving(utility room, dining room,kitchen) obviously they are within the 150mm safe zone but behind coving,my only concern is what happens if he decides to decorate and decides he doesnt want coving up anymore he is going to be left with 2 t&e left there which is then going to need sorting, would you advise b&q you dont want it behind the coving or am i just being a fussy get again lol, and another thing i couldn't quite understand is he as 4 grid switches above the work top at the moment for his other appliances and they said they will get rid of them cause they are a pain and put sockets in each cupboard at each side of the appliances from what i can gather these new appliances are going back in the same place so dont know why they are suggesting that cheers

behind the coving is OK, IMO. if he decides to remove it and redecorate, he can chase the cables into the plaster. it's up to your mate to discuss with b&q as to whether he wants to retain the grid switches. personally, i'd keep them.

last b&q kitchen i saw, they,d spurred off a socket in 0.75mm flex to a socket for dishwasher.

BnQ Installation ? O Dear ! . They might get lucky and get a good team ( if they have any left ) . any missing parts & it will be months to rectify as managed by x rebound MFI muppets ,

The last B & Q install I saw, the kitchen fitter did the electrics and a Part P sparky came in a signed it off. He was completely oblivious to the fact that the fitter had hidden chock block behind a wall unit and spured off a spur and again.

Tell your find to keep his eyes peeled and tak photo's through out the works.

cheers for all the replies, ive heard alot of things about b&q fitters myslef, they have already messed up on the appliances thats why he is having these 2 new circuits in, he worked that out himself and had to goto b&q to tell them about it god knows what would of happened if not they would of probably just connected everything onto a spur off the ring lol, will tell him to keep an eye on them and i will go over and check when i get chance cheers

I know it invalids the guarantee on the kitchen if you don't get the bent&queer lot to do it.

But surely, employing your own team would be better? B&Q lot, although could be wrong are on production rate...and if they're not, their work says they are.

To be fair, only seen 2 b&q fits and were both sub-standard, they don't have pride in their work IMO.

(thats not to say all b&q fitters are like that, because im sure they aren't - just my limited experience of them)

Reply to safe zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net