Search the forum,

Discuss Satellite cable and making it look nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

A few questions about cables!!

Question 1.
I have a run of 13m from satellite dish to load and need to use 2 satellite cables. 13m seems to be on the cusp of having to use PF100 rather than shotgun or RG6 to retain picture quality and limit inteference, is that about right or would I be able to use shotgun cable?

Question 2.
Also I have 2 satellite cables, an HDMI cable, ethernet cable and 4 speaker cables that will be chased into the wall and brought down to the same spot behind the TV Unit. I want to make them look neat and tidy as they exit the wall and wondered the best way to do this? The client does not want any sockets to plug these cables into as he wants no breaks in the cable.

My thoughts are:
1. I could chase down as normal, plaster in and then somehow get an internal cable entry grommet in?
2. Could put all cable in conduit and then have a 90° conduit bit flush with the wall as it exits?
3. Somehow utilise a back box, but what to put on the front to accomadate all the cables leaving it?

I may find out from the customer that these exit points will be hidden and it is not a concern but I'd like to consider the possibilities.

Thanks all.

Brush plates and at the very least 25mm conduit so if the HDMI cable breaks it can be replaced without issues.

Shotgun cable should be fine imho

Evening all..

A few questions about cables!!

Question 1.
I have a run of 13m from satellite dish to load and need to use 2 satellite cables. 13m seems to be on the cusp of having to use PF100 rather than shotgun or RG6 to retain picture quality and limit interference, is that about right or would I be able to use shotgun cable?.

I only use PF100 and its peace of mind. RG6 would be fine for that length mate.

MT4 chased in + Brush plates as others have said

Unlikely to pull a hdmi thru a 25mm conduit especially with a 90' bend be better off with some 38mm or 50mm copex if you have the depth. For sky runs less than 30m you'll want wf63 shotgun over 30m wf100 shotgun don't use rg6.

I've ran plenty of installs using wf63 (the small sky shotgun cable) and never had any signal issues. For 13m run I wouldn't consider anything else, especially running two RG6 / WF100 side by side if on show.

As For the TV cables, as mentioned before a brush plate is probably best or you could drill a blank plate, or use a Euro frame face plate with the clip-in blanks with notches drilled to suit the cables exiting.

Definitely use at least a 35mm KO box, you can tin snip the top or bottom out of it and use grommet strip on the sharp edges to allow plenty of room to get your cables in and to aid the install of replacement cables in the future.
25mm conduit is tight on HDMI plugs!

I have done exactly this at my house using brush plates, 35mm K/O boxes, 25mm Conduit and modular face plates. All works great and I managed to pull 2 HDMI cables through the 25mm conduit by using a drawstring and taping the 2 HDMI cables together with the heads offset to each other along the cable

A couple of tips from a non spark but an 'engineer' Which I feel does not carry much credibility on here.

Always run a spare HDMI if it's being chased in, I have seen more than once a HDMI cable tested before installation, chased in, filled and decorated, TV hung and then does not work.
Never sharply bend a HDMI cable, so use a deep back box.
Never run speaker cable in with HDMI cables in the same chase, HDMI 1.3a can be fussy with interference and it will knock out Tmds. Also make sure the cables is HDMI 1.4 compliant, 4k is not far away.

A couple of tips from a non spark but an 'engineer' Which I feel does not carry much credibility on here.

Always run a spare HDMI if it's being chased in, I have seen more than once a HDMI cable tested before installation, chased in, filled and decorated, TV hung and then does not work.
Never sharply bend a HDMI cable, so use a deep back box.
Never run speaker cable in with HDMI cables in the same chase, HDMI 1.3a can be fussy with interference and it will knock out Tmds. Also make sure the cables is HDMI 1.4 compliant, 4k is not far away.

Thankyou Dellboy,

I will admit I was going to ask about running all the Band 1 cables together, but I didn't as I thought I was being over cautious.

Could you explain if it would be inteference to the HDMI cable or speaker cables? Would you suggest running the HDMI seperately in its own truking and then the ethernet/speaker/satellite cable together?

Thanks again.

It all depends on what type of speaker cable you are running, most cable is not screened, so as the volume goes up there is more chance of the cable interfering with the HDMI cable. I have seen it at a trade show when a stand cranked up the volume the projector starting splatting on the projection (green or white blocks). All the singles where cable tied together.
If I was you I would use 2 channels, 1 for ethernet, satellite and HDMI (all can run fine together) and a second for the speakers. You might be lucky in one channel, but the more the speakers are pushed the more chance of interference.
I had to fix an issue once with a clients system where they had an amazing system in their offices but the network kept dropping off when screening videos through the PC. It turned out to the the speaker cables, the problem was all the cables where channeled in and the wall was polished plaster - It cost them over £1000 to get it re-plastered after a second channel was cut in.

ash_s3, I must admit my lounge is run in one channel but there was no chance of doing it any other way (due to construction) but I do not push the speakers.
I probably agree, 98% of times you will not have an issue but there is a notable chance of problems and it will only take 5 minutes and a bit of dust to run a second channel, which is considerably easier than trying to explain to a client why they have to re-plaster a wall once everything is decorated and they moved in.
I would say 90% of people would probably use 1 channel, I'm only trying to point out a possible future problem.

Can't see an issue running shotgun cable for a 13m run. You could always use 2 x CT100 and run it in some tubing if you want to be on safe side though. Daz

i fitted these the other week, customer said i want a tv on the wall, a sat feed and aerial, and plug socket... I said yep no problem, tapped the wall and it sounded like in was stud work, was it hell, it turned out tobe a good gap then breeze. anyway, i fitted it in nicely without trashing the paper and used these modular plates which i thought looked nice as they matched the others in the kitchen.

2015-02-05 18.14.30.jpg

Reply to Satellite cable and making it look nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net