Discuss SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

So, I said I'd post some pictures if it didn't look too rough. I'm going to post some anyway as @Dave OCD 's reaction could be entertaining.
The before picture:

1676051173584.png

I couldn't understand why the cables had been brought through the back board so low, and started to carefully excavate upwards only to find some kind of steel RSJ thing sticking out of the wall. THe rear entry cables loop around the end of it and in.
My nice plan to get the CU on the back board was somewhat in tatters.

Devoid of any other ideas I figured I'd move the isolator and do my best to tidy up within the limitations. I added some extra screw holes as the board would have to overhang again.
Anyway, this is what it ended up looking like:
1676051520041.png

In terms of the board itself...
Very strong. Knockouts come out easily. Knockouts on every side is a plus.
The extra space was most welcome as 3 CPC's needed extending.
Enough room above CPC bar for tester clip to nicely bite.

Negative points from my perspective...
One main earth, 2 bonds and 1 per circuit could have left me a little short on the CPC bar. I don't know whether I'm imagining it but think Fuesbox has more capacity than that.
The screws that hold the DIN rail assembly seem to be self drilling/tapping not machined and after removing it all and putting it back I very easily managed to strip the thread on one of them. So had to drill, tap and use a bigger screw. Another time I wouldn't remove it - I'm just used to easily doing this on Fusebox boards.
Finally, being a bit picky but it's not super-easy to see the breaker ratings when the switches are off.

All in all, I'd use one again.

Nope and Nope. This had me and the householder head scratching for a good while.
For context - extended / converted mid-terrace house. Large kitchen and lounge on ground floor. Bathroom and bedroom with en-suite on middle floor. Two bedrooms on top floor.
Only current-using appliance in sight was the cooker.

A small sub main to the top floor to a small CU for sockets and lighting ?
Distribution circuit to an old under-floor heating board?
It's a relief that you guys are almost quoting the conversation I had with the owner!
I'd eventually written the 6mm off as (probably) an old shower circuit. I left it disconnected at that point.

I later did a walk around with him to find out what didn't work as I'd also got two 2.5 cables disconnected that had been both in a B32 but I had no end-to end readings.

We found three double sockets in lounge not working.
Then a bit later we found a macerator en-suite toilet (which was directly above lounge) not working.

I temporarily connected each half of the non-ring to a B16 and found one cable got one corner of the lounge working, the other cable got the other corner working. Neither cable got the macerator working...

It still didn't dawn on me until I took the FCU apart and it was the 6mm feed, almost certainly the old shower circuit from the next room repurposed. The guy (who was Dutch) found this really funny and said does that mean I can do a 32 amp sh*t then?

It's a relief that you guys are almost quoting the conversation I had with the owner!
I'd eventually written the 6mm off as (probably) an old shower circuit. I left it disconnected at that point.

I later did a walk around with him to find out what didn't work as I'd also got two 2.5 cables disconnected that had been both in a B32 but I had no end-to end readings.

We found three double sockets in lounge not working.
Then a bit later we found a macerator en-suite toilet (which was directly above lounge) not working.

I temporarily connected each half of the non-ring to a B16 and found one cable got one corner of the lounge working, the other cable got the other corner working. Neither cable got the macerator working...

It still didn't dawn on me until I took the FCU apart and it was the 6mm feed, almost certainly the old shower circuit from the next room repurposed. The guy (who was Dutch) found this really funny and said does that mean I can do a 32 amp sh*t then?
A 40 dependent on how bad the runs are :)

SBS Trade Sales ceased trading last month. Apparently they will offer support to existing customers from available stock.

No idea what happened, but I do remember expressing concerns on other threads about their business model leading to such an occurrence.

SBS Trade Sales ceased trading last month. Apparently they will offer support to existing customers from available stock.

No idea what happened, but I do remember expressing concerns on other threads about their business model leading to such an occurrence.

It's a shame that, but as you say it was always a worry that this might happen at some point.

David Savery was a big advocate for them, liking the fact that the diyer couldn't purchase..

That was a good selling point, but the problem was they also limited access for trade customers who had to go directly to them and register an account.

While I admired their stance on sales to DIYers, it seemed foolhardy to also make it difficult for trade customers to give their business to you. Most sparks will buy whatever is stocked locally. A smaller number will prepare in advance to ensure they can use a preferred brand. Very few are going to exclusively use a brand that's available from only one source and for which no alternative exists should any item be out of stock.

David Savery put out a video on YouTube about SBS going out of business. In it, he does make some interesting points about (most) other manufacturers effectively discontinuing products by not making them backwards compatible.

Reply to SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net