Discuss SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

David Savery put out a video on YouTube about SBS going out of business. In it, he does make some interesting points about (most) other manufacturers effectively discontinuing products by not making them backwards compatible.

Must take a look at that. I have strong opinions about backward compatibility and it's one of the reasons I like Starbreaker, unlike a well known Electrium stablemate. Hager also deserve credit for moving in the same direction. I've placed a bit of faith in Fusebox and (to date) they seem to have a similar ethos where backward compatibility is concerned.

Unfortunately I think the majority of money is spent along the lines of price and local availability, so there's no real incentive for manufacturers to move in this direction.

I don know how/if they verify non-scam victims.
I described my very part time business and sent some photos of previous work - he said OK.
SBS Trade Sales ceased trading last month.
That is indeed disappointing news. I'm now wondering if I should grab some additional RCBOs to cover potential additions at church.

But, they didn't make the stuff. The box fronts are branded (from memory) LVE or something like that. So I do wonder about the scope for alternative supplies ?

But, they didn't make the stuff. The box fronts are branded (from memory) LVE or something like that. So I do wonder about the scope for alternative supplies ?

I've read before the claim that SBS circuit protection was made by Live, but don't know whether there's any truth in the rumour. Do live offer a dual busbar option?

Well, when I did the church electrics, the bixes were Live branded, as was the 4pole switch (for c/o to gen input) he fitted for me in place of the 2pole main switch. The style of the Live branded switch was identical to the normal main switch.
But I've looked on their site Live - https://www.liveelectrical.co.uk/ and can't see them.
So it's quite possible he's been using Live boxes but "someone elses" internals.

Certainly going to be an issue if we can't find an alternative. At least the boxes are spacious so could fit the much longer AFDD+RCBO devices Arc Fault Detection Device With RCBO - https://www.liveelectrical.co.uk/Catalogue/Arc-Fault-Detection-Device-With-RCBO_ID163.html. pity it'll mean having to take out the dual busbar and scrap existing devices to reolace it with a single bus bar.

I think you or someone else linked to these RCBOs before, but no one in the UK appears to stock them.

Mad to think that hundreds of BG dual RCD boards from Screwfix will be fitted up and down the UK this week, yet not a single Live dual busbar board as virtually no one knows of their existence and absolutely no one can buy one. Pretty much sums up the state of the industry.

That's the ones. I'll admit it's hard browsing a lot of sites on a tiny mobile phone screen like I was earlier :(
One of the things SBS did was make his own bus bars to requirements. Live don't have an equivalent to connect a number of the mini RCBOs (L&N within one module space) to the main switch (L&N in separate module spaces), and the L&N bus bar they do have is only 63A rating. That's going to be a bit of a problem if we could find a supplier of the RCBOs.
But that's moot sooner or later, even if AFDD mandatory for everything is an April's Fool that some of us fell for, it's going to be along sooner or later - then we'll be back to neutral fly leads and massive devices.

Last edited:
That's the ones. I'll admit it's hard browsing a lot of site on a tiny mobile phone screen like I was earlier :(

They aren't easy to find and more difficult again is finding an option to construct a suitable dual busbar enclosure. Given the lack of availability, or even information online, it's possible these are included in Live's online catalogue solely due to manufacture for SBS.

I really doubt that SBS would buy enough for it to be cost effective to make a version just for them.
A lot of the EU mandated DP MCBs and RCBOs so I suspect that is the primary market for dual busbars.

But they should have become the norm decades ago so RCBO were all neat and compact, not the spaghetti junction in many CU. Even if MCB were still SP in the UK they could have had just a pass-through for N and still used a common busbar as appears to be the SBS case.

Getting back to the point in hand; Live have a range of RCBOs in their catalogue which are intended for use with dual busbars, but no sign of a dual busbar for use in any of their enclosures and there is no availability of these RCBOs worldwide. This all seems rather odd.

Schneider also manufacture the dual bus bars: A9XPH212 | Schneider Electric Acti 9 2 Phase Busbar, 415V ac, 18mm Pitch | RS - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/busbars/7762720 some will baulk at the price, but don't forget it's two bus bars.
On the RS ones the L and N spacing remains 1 module apart along it's length so it wouldn't work with the devices we are talking about.
Most of us wouldn't want to be reckless with mixing manufacturers gear inside a consumer unit too.
We really need something made by SBS or in the same supply tree.

Reply to SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net