• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss SDS drill for under £30! Curious in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Browsing the screwfix page for some drill bits, came across this sds drill for 30 quid. Made me wonder if its actually any good? If you have a simple job and need something quick it might do the trcick. Likewise if you need to put a fan in and need to core a hole.
Anybody got one? Interested to know how good or bad the quality is? Afterall price alone is not a true reflection.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-4-1kg-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/63303

Browsing the screwfix page for some drill bits, came across this sds drill for 30 quid. Made me wonder if its actually any good? If you have a simple job and need something quick it might do the trcick. Likewise if you need to put a fan in and need to core a hole.
Anybody got one? Interested to know how good or bad the quality is? Afterall price alone is not a true reflection.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-4-1kg-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/63303
I think I'll stick with my Hilti :)

Go for it. I have a £40 B&Q SDS for heavy chiselling and core cutting. It's pretty much disposable at that price. Abuse it and take it back under warranty if it breaks.
Turns out mine is pretty good and it's lasted me a few years so far.

@Gavin John Hyde
It's £30 and you are after feedback about how good or bad it is? Really?

PS I find it quite crazy that people core 4" holes with an SDS drill. Several years ago I killed a good SDS drill doing them, now I have a proper core drill for them.

Last edited:
Very robust I would think. Got a similar one years ago, its a bit heavy and no clutch. Must have improved them, I see the newer one has a clutch. I would say its a good buy.

Look at the worst reviews first Gavin. It may not last a single outing according to some of them!
It's funny how the government etc etc push the green agenda, but then so many items are manufactured to be basically disposable. Don't get me wrong as I agree with capitalism, but I do wish it wasn't consistently to the lowest common denominator... It's no wander the earth's crust is being stripped bare.

Look at the worst reviews first Gavin. It may not last a single outing according to some of them!
It's funny how the government etc etc push the green agenda, but then so many items are manufactured to be basically disposable. Don't get me wrong as I agree with capitalism, but I do wish it wasn't consistently to the lowest common denominator... It's no wander the earth's crust is being stripped bare.

....Now,the drill that can do THAT...is the drill i want ;)

Not saying I was going to buy one. Although if i have something that might kill my existing ones mains titan and 18v dewalt. i may get it for a one use job. If it lasts so be it.
Just curious as to how good a machine they can actually make at that price.

@Gavin John Hyde
It's £30 and you are after feedback about how good or bad it is? Really?

PS I find it quite crazy that people core 4" holes with an SDS drill. Several years ago I killed a good SDS drill doing them, now I have a proper core drill for them.
I think this is why Gavin asked. It is a cheap drill and if it did break when using it to core drill it wouldn't be the end of the world. It costs more than £30 to hire a core drill.

In addition, it has a 92% 'would recommend' rate out of 180 people. I think that is too big a population to be completely falsified, so relative to it's price it looks pretty good.

Ps.. I wont be buying one though!

I used a similar screwfix one a few years ago to channel through some shillet. Used it for about two hours and was on pain killers for about 9 months.
One of the reasons why these things are so cheap is there is nothing / very little done to asorb the vibration.
As I was unable to find someone who I disliked enough to give it to, I ended up throwing it away

I'd go for it...I have had good service from some cheapo stuff. Wouldn't rely on it if my job depended on it, but for occasional use it's hardly going to break the bank (so don't try to do that!).

I bought some Ferm gear many years ago (remember them?) and the cordless combi drill/driver 24V was a great workhorse. Used it for years, but eventually the 2 supplied batteries gave out and wouldn't hold a charge. It cost very little to buy so was excellent value for money. It was heavy though, and more modern ones are far superior, but for the money it was an excellent buy.
I also had a Ferm SDS drill, indeed still have it after probably 15 years, and used it the other day and it is great. It has done a lot of screwing, drilling, chiselling and setting of coachscrews and multi-montis, and at £49 I consider it a real bargain. I wouldn't rely on it if it was the main tool for my job, but at the price I cannot fault it.
The Ferm wood planer I have is also about 15 years old, blades are easily obtainable, and it gives a good finish in lots of timber types. Again, it cost less than a lunch out. I guess if you are looking for occasional use, these cheap tools will do all you want them to, but I wouldn't give up my DeWalt trio which I rely on all the time. Also got a cheap combi drill/driver from Aldi for my holiday home where it obviously gets not much use. At £38 it has done all I need in timber and the stone walls and aluminium railings etc and comes with 2 batteries which are only 1.8ah each but they have been enough for such use. I couldn't justify the high price tag for a duplicate DeWalt just for it to sit in the cupboard most of the time, especially when a spare battery for them costs more than the Aldi drill.

Reply to SDS drill for under £30! Curious in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back