Discuss Self Build - Electrician refusing to certify due to ill health - Ruining my life :-( in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sebselfbuilder

Hi all,
Really struggling here, any advice appreciated.
I've finished building a new build house and moved in. It my lifes work, I built the whole house literally on my own, bar the electrician and gas man.
Unfortunately now Building control & my separate structural warranty guy is ready to sign off the house, I cannot produce a Part P or new installation certificate as the sparky has fallen ill and simply will not attend to test and sign it off. I've had numerous certificates for other work from him in the past, so he is clearly certified. The bloke is a stickler for the regs.
I spoke to another electrician who said the best he could do was a condition report. I dont think this is any good for structural warranty/remortgage etc.
Another electrician said there was no possibility of third party certification with his scheme.
I just spoke to building control and he said he has signed off the 1st first fix electrics and all I have to do is get someone to test and supply Part P cert. Not sure anyone wants to do this though?
damage to the house from a re-wire would be irrepairable. It a brand new small build house to a very high standard and I just could never face tearing the ceilings down to expose perfectly routed (middle of joists, clipped up, sheilded near pipework prism cables. grommets in the backboxes, extra earth links in all backboxes, fully bonded to all copperwork/rads, metal capping down all walls even with pvc tape on the ends to prevent chaffing etc.
I would really like a full install cert and part P, my main question is, if I was to employ you to do the job, how far would you want to go to certify it.
Thanks for any ideas.:banghead:
Seb in Rugby, Warwickshire.

Re: Self Build - Electrician refusing to certify due to ill health - Ruining my life

Welcome to the forum, I sure plenty of members can advise accordingly :)

Re: Self Build - Electrician refusing to certify due to ill health - Ruining my life

if it's a new build, then it can be certified by any qualified spark, usually a copy of the cert. is sent to LABC. the only problem is that the spark who completed the cert. would then be taking responsibiltiy for the installation as if he had installed it personally. ther emust be sparks in your area willing to do this, subject to a thorough inspectoin/test. i can't see that you'll have to do any ripping up of the property if, as you say, the installation is sound.

if said sparky is a scheme member, then call then scheme and ask them their advice......

Can the ill sparky not sign off for the design and install and then a new sparky sign for the testing, this way there is no risk taking, how ill is the original sparks, can he sign his name twice?

As the first fix has been signed there should be no need for any disruption.
Have another word with BC , they may accept an EICR , especially if they know the standard of installation.

There is also a three signature form, but you may struggle to get your electrician to sign it as designer/ installer .

DW beat me to it, If he that ill fair enough, but as said surely he can sign his name twice that is if he has some results to sign????

DW beat me to it, If he that ill fair enough, but as said surely he can sign his name twice that is if he has some results to sign????
I missed his post too.

That does sound a bit unreasonably of the electrician, although we don't know how ill they may be.

Some schemes do offer 'third party certification', meaning another electrician can supply you with an electrical installation certificate. I'm not too sure how it works as I have decided I dont want to get involved with it, however it is there. Below is a link to the government website explainig it a little (it shows Napit and Stroma as 2 of the bodies who have the means to third party certify, so it may be an idea to call them or find someone who is with either of those bodies locally to come and do it. I have also added a link to a 'register of competent persons' so you can pop in your post code and see who is nearby)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/third-party-certification-schemes-for-domestic-electrical-work

Home

Although to be honest I'd push the original electrician a little more, make him fully aware of the situation (if you haven't already). GMES's idea is good if you could just get him to sign for the design and installation and then get someone else to come and do the testing.

Plus like Lee has said above you may be able to pay for the LABC to sign it off, they wouldn't usually as they need to inspect before the work has begun, but if as you say the first fix has already been signed off by the spark then they may do it (for around £180).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Although to be honest I'd push the original electrician a little more, make him fully aware of the situation (if you haven't already). GMES's idea (Darkwood's idea - see post 5, please don't give GMES my glory :smartass:)is good if you could just get him to sign for the design and installation and then get someone else to come and do the testing.

Good luck!

Corrected that for you ;)

Corrected that for you ;)

Hahahahaha I saw that and realised he had got it wrong but thought I would stay quiet and bask in the glory until it was spotted, pmsl DW I take it you never shared your sweets out at school!!

You could call his scheme operator & enquire about claiming against any insurance (such as the NICEIC platinum promise) as he is unable to complete the works to a regulatory standard (he isn't going to test & cert).

I just spoke to building control and he said he has signed off the 1st first fix electrics
Why has he done that if your sparks is part P registered, but if he has then surely BC can undertake test cert & sign off.

What you need my friend is a "multiple signature electrical installation certificate" said spark takes all responsible for the design and scribbles on the dotted line. You then employ another spark to conduct an initial verification who will scribble the dotted line and take responsibility for the testing side of things. Should be even easier as you said the 1st fix has already been signed off

What you need my friend is a "multiple signature electrical installation certificate" said spark takes all responsible for the design and scribbles on the dotted line. You then employ another spark to conduct an initial verification who will scribble the dotted line and take responsibility for the testing side of things. Should be even easier as you said the 1st fix has already been signed off

You need to read the thread ...lol, spot on but late to the party :yes:

I have to disagree. A 3 signature Certificate is not intended to be used like this.

The Inspector needs access to the Design (to verify the installation against it) and must also be present during the Construction phase to ensure that routing of cables etc. has been done correctly (and any testing during construction before completion if necessary).

It is NOT designed for an unknown party to arrive after all the wiring is concealed and simply sign some test results - the inspection is the more important part of the process and cannot now be done completely. Initial Verification isn't really possible now.

So periodic inspection and testing is probably the only realistic answer if Building Control are satisfied with that. (And that's entirely their decision.)

I'm with Napit and have signed up for the 3rd party notification scheme. I've done a few sign off for my mate as I know the quality of his work and also done a couple for unregistered installers (Cowboys haha) tbh I pretty much do a full periodic and the installer signs the form for design/construction. I then provide cert and part p notification after receiving my hefty fee as I don't like hand writing Certs out now

It rials me TBH, A guy comes here and asks a question, gets several replies and doesn't come back, ban him.

Reply to Self Build - Electrician refusing to certify due to ill health - Ruining my life :-( in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net