Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

javasyna.jpg
u4usunyv.jpg
zy5u9e9u.jpg
ypurameq.jpg

Few more pics

darwood said:
What about the ones marked up 230v ???
Can i ask why you chose SY ... its often misused and incorrectly installed and over the last 5yrs ive ripped out so much of this crap.. its design as a control cable the braid is a screening and is not mechanical protection, the outer clear sheath is unsuitable for outdoor use and whenever its is utilised as a power cable for LV the braiding should be earthed but a must is that it isn't used for earth.... not saying you have done any of this but interested to why this cable was chosen as i cant see any benefits with using it?

We once lost out on a 60 grand glasshouse job because we were to dear. I went there later to do some maintenance. The whole job was done in SY as apposed to our SWA job.

Anyway got paid lots of money for putting loads of it right. Ended up costing them more in the long run!

View attachment 22890One job a couple of years back....New unit...100A 3ph incommer had to be upgraded to 400. You can see the original supply in the far corner.

The only problem I have is that, for some reason, the insert image won't work, except on rare occasions it seems, so can't put any other bleedin' photos up.

heres a couple of my last jobs.first one is a new switch room upgrade which im still on with. then a control panel controlling the temperature on two mixing vessels using PT100 probes

Bit of tray would have looked better especially underneath the panel as I think the sweep on the right hand SWA's could be better.

No its not standard. They're jumped off tray to strut, and it would have looked better with a bit more tray but not needed.

Only thing I’ll say is you can get capping for unistrut, I’ve no problem with cable run through strut.

In the foundry at times it was about the only thing you could do to protect a cable.
You lot moan about cables run though insulation, I’d put the cable in the strut and then fill it with Ganister mineral refractory or Kerlain fibre.

Finished off an EICR today and final checks on the cooker showed no R1+R2 at the cooker switch. A quick blast of IR between 'wires' gave all less than 150MΩ. Far from ideal but it's well above the 1MΩ in the regs and the 2MΩ recommended for further investigation. So on we go to try and discover what's happening with the CPC.

Undo the cooker switch outlet and all looks fine inside (less the grommet) but a quick tug on the CPC leaves a 6" strand of green'n'yellow in my hand --- 3" to you and me but I always like to exaggerate on lengths so the wife thinks she's getting more than she is.

The old girl is now panicking about getting an electric shock off the cooker so I investigate further to put her mind at rest!. Off comes the tile, plaster etc. and after a little bit of digging low and behold what do I find ........

cable 1.jpg cable 2.jpg

Guess sometime about 10yrs ago when the kitchen fitters re-did her kitchen, they partially cut through the wires and just tiled back over! Goes to show that recommended IR readings are not that indicative of a healthy circuit as if the R1+R2 had passed OK, I probably wouldn't have looked any further. And even with the partially severed wires (red had 2 or 3 out of the 7 strands still intact) she had been using her cooker regularly at full blast for the family Sunday roast for years! All I can think is that the 3 strands equated to circa 3mm and the cooker was 13A equivalent so it could handle it.

Buried deep in plaster and brick work the worse that would have happened is the cable overheated in a safe contained environment and either cut its own throat or shorted out which is when it would have been looked into.
Recommended IR readings are their to indicated a breakdown of the insulation barriers between conductors as well as down to earth... if the readings are well within permitted values it is usually an indication that the public are not at risk of shock due to a breakdown of insulation barrier (the dry building material served as a good barrier in your case) although its clear occasions exist when this isn't true as without a conductive contaminant 2 bare wire mm apart with give good IR.
If the earth was broken prior to it been pulled out then this would have been found and identified with a correct sequence of tests - assuming the cooker was fully disconnected during the R1 + R2 tests then a parallel earth path through the gas pipe wouldn't give a false positive.

We have to Note here badge that the full sequence of tests are our best way to find faulty or dangerous circuits but can't always identify every possible combinations of situations, their are many tests we can't do and as matter of assumption we just carry on in the blind believe that that MCB will operate at the correct time-curve when overloaded or will trip instantaneously when the S/C value is high enough... we only really check rcd's for their earth leakage reaction and functionality so here we have another void of assumption that our test sequences don't confirm.

At least with rewirable fuses or cartridge fuses as long as the wire fitted was made to spec it would always operate at a predictable and measured value and also left traits of the cause of the wire fusing.

Found this beauty today......

25mm/100amp supply in top ---> out bottom --> 4 x 10mm tails to 2x BS3036 cu's + 1 x4mm link to 20aMCB !

Really starting to pee me off now, this is the second job I've come across within a month in a similar state by the same 'sparky' - Elesca registered - really tempted to report him.

IMG_1453.jpg

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net