Discuss Shower circuit on living room ring (Customer only want CU changed) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I visited a property today and after initial checks and before i go ahead with the quote i noticed that the shower (power shower) is supplied from the living room Ring.

I've informed the customer that this is not to regulations and requires its own supply. At the moment the customer doesn't want the new circuit installed for the shower and is expecting only a CU change.

How would you go about this and what actions would you take?

Regards,

Robo

If it was an electrically heated shower the customer probably would have noticed it tripping out by now.
A shower pump can be spurred off a socket final.

a new sherlock holmes mystery. the case of the disappearing OP.

Glad the op isn't inspecting my house. My power shower is on the lighting circuit and fed in 1.5mm t&e.

Glad the op isn't inspecting my house. My power shower is on the lighting circuit and fed in 1.5mm t&e.
me too mines on the upstairs ring manufacturers instruction says must be protected by a 3amp fuse , have not checked the load but im sure its only a couple of amps .

bloody southerners with posy showers indoors. no wonder you're all soft. :44:

My apologies for not replying sooner and incorrect information, i posted just before poping out.

The shower is an electrically heated shower, 7.2kw. At the moment no issues as there is minimal load on the rest of the ring.

Is it on a 32A ring?

7.2kw is about 31A. They must have very little else plugged in at the time the showers running.

Having said that, cables and protective devices can cope with much higher ratings than the max listed. How longs an average shower? 6-8mins??

My apologies for not replying sooner and incorrect information, i posted just before poping out.

The shower is an electrically heated shower, 7.2kw. At the moment no issues as there is minimal load on the rest of the ring.
You need to stress to the client, that the shower circuit needs to be wired in the correct size cable and own radial,before any CU change, either he agrees to disconnecting the shower if no remedial allowed, otherwise walk away.

Reply to Shower circuit on living room ring (Customer only want CU changed) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net