Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Shower lash up in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. South Spark

South Spark Regular EF Member

I was called into a property where I was told that the shower fuse had blown. On investigation it turned out that a 9.8 KW shower was connected with 10mm T+E but only as far as the nearest fused spur on the upstairs ring main. They'd used a 45A cooker switch to terminate the 10mm then switched to 2.5 to connect into the supply side of the fused spur (which is powering a kind of sit down jacuzzi and seems to be correctly installed). They'd even done it in the old colours!

Apparently this work was done last August - I've taken photos - the 2.5 in the old colours was melted and fused together - it blew the RCD at the consumer unit and the tenants just haven't touched the shower since it started smoking.

1) What chance is there that the shower unit is still functional - should I tell her that she needs that swapping and will need a plumber?

2) What recourse does she have against the shower installers?

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

IMHO you should provide an estimate to install the electrics properly and leave the rest to the homeowner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tonycoysh

tonycoysh Guest

Sorry this is of no help to you but.......

You have to laugh or you'd cry!

Surely you'd be best sorting the wiring out and check the shower and advise her from there? The wiring needs sorting anyway so it's not like you're wasting your time.

As for recourse maybe she would be best going to citizen's advice or something armed with pictures and see where that gets her first? Or contacting the company?

4. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

Thats class, just class.

5. Dan the spark

Dan the spark Electrician's Arms

I'd do the lot if I were you mate, showers are nice and easy to swap over, nice little profit

6. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

any notification for this shower? ...as in "shower of ****"..lol.....i bet not....given the old colours...lol.........

7. giles-stone

giles-stone Guest

I thought I'd done a good job n all......

8. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

well we all like to think that we`v done a "good job"...lol......done a good turn more like....as in..quids=arse pocket..lol....

9. DNS1

DNS1 Trusted Advisor

Shower unit itself should be fine shouldn't it? Wouldn't it have just draw it's normal current until the insulation melted and the RCD/MCB tripped?

10. South Spark

I think the unit should be fine - obviously I'll open it up to see if there's internal damage but was hoping to draw on other's experience as I don't want to be doing a good wiring job on a damaged shower.

Btw - the original job was apparently done by a "friend of a friend handyman"

11. cook1e

cook1e Regular EF Member

I would be equally concerned with the rest of the 2.5 mm circuit, the heat build up in the cable will possibly have damaged it elsewhere, not just where it became apparrent

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  12. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

I was called into a property where I was told that the shower fuse had blown. On investigation it turned out that a 9.8 KW shower was connected with 10mm T+E but only as far as the nearest fused spur on the upstairs ring main.

Some pictures would be good especially re the upstairs ring main fused spur that you mention!

13. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I too would be concerned about any damage to the supplying "ring". A full test of said circuit must be conducted too IMHO

14. South Spark

obviously I'm not ticketed for inspections. However it would be pretty straightforward to unplug everything on the upstairs ring and do the full set of tests from the board I suppose.

15. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

IMHO I would't worry about tickets etc I would be testing each and every cct that you believe has been affected.

This is a distress call which has luckily not caused a fire.

I would be having a good look at the up final ring cct and then performing all the tests having a good look at all the results especially the IR ones just to make sure that the cct is safe to re energise.

Because of this cowboy install I would stongly recommend that a full periodic inspection be carried out to identify any other problems that might just be hideing!!