Discuss shower size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

433.3.1 (ii) will apply to an electric shower,if it has fault protection, hence no need for overcurrent protection.

Correct to regulations, if the cable is sized correctly for the overload current then no overload protection is needed.

But what about fault protection without a C/B?. I'll assume there is an RCD for fault current L to E but whats giving fault current protection to the circuit cable for a L to N short/fault? Just need to make sure the DNO fuse is going to 'pop' before the cable melts by running it thro' 'that' calc we are all familiar with.

Practically though, to connect into a way in the CU you will need a C/B so may as well size one up accordingly --- even a 50A one would be acceptable if 'that' equation or manuf data shows the let thro' energy wont melt the conductor before it 'pops'!!

The problem with that little gem, is that the supply isn't going to be 230 Volts it, if anything it's going to be in excess of of 240 Volts!!

I don't really understand some of the electricians on here, It's YOU the electrician that make the decision if a cable or whatever is of a suitable size or suitable for purpose, NOT the untrained client. If they are not going to listen to you ....fine, Walk away!! At the end of the day, it's going to be your arse on the line, not the tight as a ducks arse in cramp client!! ...lol!!

So you do all your cal's with measured voltage then eng54? then you know it could be the other way and lower, the guy asked a very vague question and im giving some basic advised, swap it like for like or upgrade the cable. i should after reading your post advised walk away from every job because eng54 will find a way to disagree ....lol!!

That said mate you do know your stuff and make a wicked nay smith.

So you do all your cal's with measured voltage then eng54? then you know it could be the other way and lower, the guy asked a very vague question and im giving some basic advised, swap it like for like or upgrade the cable. i should after reading your post advised walk away from every job because eng54 will find a way to disagree ....lol!!

That said mate you do know your stuff and make a wicked nay smith.

I do indeed Ducksy, but then i don't have to contend with phantom make believe voltage bands!!

I don't think you'll ever see lower than 230 volts as you put it in the UK, not unless the installation has some form of voltage optimisation system fitted...

If you have a client that refuses to listen to sound electrical reasoning, that wants you to use an unsafe cable size or accessory that's not up to the job in hand, are you saying that you wouldn't walk away??

Reply to shower size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net