Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Shower tripping mcb after being used in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Vwmon69

Vwmon69 New EF Member

Hello. Can anybody please help. I've been in my house for 5 years and had no trouble with shower at all. A couple of weeks ago the wife says that shower wasn't working. I looked at circuit board and mcb had tripped. Flicked switch back on and everything was ok. Went for a shower later and its tripped again. Flicked it back on and it worked again. Thought shower might be knackered with being old so put a new shower in. 8.5kw with 32a mcb. Same problem.
    I can flick mcb on and it will stay on, I can have a shower and it stays on, when I turn shower off it still works but a few minutes after I turn shower off it trips mcb. Any ideas off what the problem is will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

Is it the same 32 amp MCB that you have always had? If it is then it could be getting tired.A 8.5kw shower can pull approx 38 amps which is stressing the 32amp mcb.Over time they get lazy and trip even more.I would recommend changing the mcb to a 40 amp and see how it goes.Don't forget that since Jan 1 ,the replacement mcb has to be the same make and model as the original.You can usually source one off Ebay if your local wholesalers doesn't have one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Only thing I would add is go careful with Ebay as counterfeit goods are rife and are likely to be unsafe. Best to source from a reputable supplier. Also you cannot simply replace a 32a for a 40a without verifying wiring is still fault protected and disconnection time is still met.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi V and Welcome to the Forum!
    I suspect you're going to need some help to fix this as it could be a wiring fault (is it mcb or rcbo?) or a tired mcb as per Bob.

5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Before swapping the MCB for a higher rated one ensure your cable is suitably rated for the load after any relevant rating factors have been applied.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

As per you, S. First thought on reading OP.

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Regular EF Member

Whilst the advice on the mcb made be reasonable, who is to say the cable is big enough?

Unless you have competence and test kit, rushing to upgrade a mcb could have unpleasant consequences ....

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  8. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

It's a fixed load, changing the mcb for a higher rating will have no effect on overload protection, which is not required, only fault protection will be affected.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    agreed, but OP needs to determine if the cable is the correct size for the load, ref. method being taken into account.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vwmon69

Vwmon69 New EF Member

Thanks for the advice. I believe the current mcb is a Lewden one. Does that mean I have to get it swapped with another lewden. Why can i not use something like a Wylex if it's the same ampage

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Regular EF Member

Have you read post #7?

And no you can't fit any manufacturer .... some won't fit at all and we are now on the 18th edition which specially stops it

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

As above, it is now a departure from the regulations to fit a device from a different manufacturer, unless you want to be legally responsible for the design of your DB if a fire was caused.

13. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

On about upping the cable size to suit the protective device, though.

14. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

This could be wired in 2.5 for all we know.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

It's a fixed load, the load will be 8.5kw regardless of the rating of the protective device. Overload protection is not required, only fault protection.