Discuss Shower tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piz

Hello I have just installed a new fuse board and when the shower runs the MCB trips within 20-30 seconds
the ins rest is 1000+Mohms the ze is 0.54 ohms
the shower is 9.5kw I know I nees a 40amp breaker but what I cant understand is why it was ok on a 30amp wired fuse before
and it shouldnt trip out so fast even on a 32amp type b MCB
the rcd does not trip
any help would be great Cheers

Therein lies your answer.

Your shower is pulling near enough 40A

Put an ammeter round the line and see what you are actually pulling.

Dont forget that old 3036 fuses were able to go quite a way above their rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get you red regs out and look at the current/time tripping curves for your mcb it should show you how long it will last at 40amps and as rewirable fuses have a different time curve they wont blow/trip at the same timings.

I had a similar problem today.

Simple CU swap.

Several lighting circuits quite a few LV downlights, no schedule.

Switched on all the lights to establish what MCB did what.

After a minute, one popped.

Got out the clamp meter and it was pulling around 6amps, through an old wylex NB 5A MCB.

A 40amp shower will not run on a 32A MCB.

Reply to Shower tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, first post, and it relates to quite a challenging installation. The short version is that I'm working through remedial work on a 75 page...
Replies
Views
Morning - just a photo for info to show what's out there (as if most don't already know!!!) & to reiterate the ignorance of some householders. A...
Replies
Views
Hi guys it's been a while since I've been on here, but I got called to a job today for an electric shower tripping the mcb. Upon investigation...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I was called out to a house in the countryside to do a shower replacement. The homeowner had already got the plumber to install the new...
Replies
Views
GEOFF S
G
S
Morning all, i had an electrician/plumber out to my rented house, ie not allowed to sort myself job!! whilst he was here i queried our wiring for...
Replies
Views
chopper76
C

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock