Discuss shower wired in swa? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the cable has whitened it's a sign of deteriation of the integrity of the cable and the sheath no longer performs as designed ..as above this won't be picked up on an IR test unless it's progression has affected the insulation on the cores.

I'm gonna re-read this thread, because i think I'm missing the point. I totally get what you're saying and i understand that, but thats just for the comments box on a eicr ... if it IR's satisfactory then its electrically safe, can't go round replacing **** on the assumption someone might move it?

I'm gonna re-read this thread, because i think I'm missing the point. I totally get what you're saying and i understand that, but thats just for the comments box on a eicr ... if it IR's satisfactory then its electrically safe, can't go round replacing **** on the assumption someone might move it?

No, if all of the tests and an inspection pass then it may be considered electrically safe.

Part of an eicr is visual so recognising problems will be key to how you report them, of course if you find the cable has no physical damage or poor test results then it's OK but I would still put a side note that the cable is unsuitable for its environment ..... on the train of thought here it's like saying you found a nasty gouge in the outer pvc jacket but because the test resuly 's were fine you ignore it! ...

The outer pvc is the environmental protection, when that is compromised the inner insulation jacket gets exposed to the environment which it was not designed to do... yes it may last quite a few years but that's situation dependent but still it's the case to note it as unsuitable for the environment whether it's brand new or 10yrs old going strong.

Last edited:
Part of an eicr is visual so recognising problems will be key to how you report them, of course if you find the cable has no physical damage or poor test results then it's OK but I would still put a side note that the cable is unsuitable for its environment ..... on the train of thought here it's like saying you found a nasty gouge in the outer pvc jacket but because the test resuly 's were fine you ignore it! ...

The outer pvc is the environmental protection, when that is compromised the inner insulation jacket gets exposed to the environment which it was not designed to do... yes it may last quite a few years but that's situation dependent but still it's the case to note it as unsuitable for the environment whether it's brand new or 10yrs old going strong.

Genuinely never thought of it like that. I always note if i see t+e outside anyway, but i never really see the problem with it along as it tests out fine. I always use flex outside, regardless of the t+e outside debate it does look hideous, flex is such a neater job.

Remember the outer sheath of a twin covered cable is the environmental protection, the inner sheath is the cable insulation and can and often do have different properties so a breach in the outer sheath or even exposure to an environment that damages the structural integrity of the outer sheath needs addressing nd either the cable repaired, replaced (with a suitable type if environmental damage) or taken out of service.

If your using flex outdoors remember to ask its suitablitity to UV, its mainly the black flexes that are suitable and white not but can vary with manufacturer.

Reply to shower wired in swa? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net