Discuss "Signing off" work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: "Signing off" work?

really why ?:6: if you are a competent person i think you should do any work.

you telling me you have done everything by the book since you started out? sorry im sure you have :smug:

Yes I have. My concious is clear on that one. Today I was asked by a prospective client to do a cash deal and ignore the regs. I said no.

- - - Updated - - -

The lad is trying to gain experience by doing the works, part of gaining experience is to ask question, part of being a cowboy is to go full steam ahead, not asking questions and therefore making mistakes.

Joining a scheme is not what this guy should be doing, the cost of doing so compared to the amount of work he intends to carry out is just not financially viable.

If your dad is going to do this properly then i would suggest getting the council in for this one and for each tenant have an EICR done but a scheme member. I wouldn't cut corners and try do to things on the cheap when members of the public are involved.

In your own house things are different as we all know![/QUOTE]

Here we are debating doing work on his fathers flat which will have tenents in it. Hardly his own home is it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie, it's great that you are coming on here asking for advice. Unfortunately, you have already broken the law by changing the CU without notifying in advance, as do many hundreds of people who visit DIY stores every weekend.
Please remember that while we appreciate and respect the fact that you have electrical knowledge and training, following the rules and regs in domestic is a completely different ball-game to what you do as an electrical technician (and I speak from experience having come originally from an industrial electrical engineering background). The EIC should have been filled in as you tested, but as you obviously wrote down all the test results, you can download blank forms from several places, including the Elecsa website and complete them now. You will obviously need more than just an EIC for a consumer unit in order to feel that the installation in general is safe, so an EICR is in order. The question I would ask you is whether you feel confident in your knowledge of the regs to complete such a document, knowing that there could be potentially serious consequences to a member of the public if you miss something dangerous.
All the best, however you decide to proceed.

If you are unsure of how to correctly test then go get guidance note 3 and follow it.

Then check your results against the various tables in the regs, obviously not forgetting your 80% on earth loops.

Yes I have. My concious is clear on that one. Today I was asked by a prospective client to do a cash deal and ignore the regs. I said no.

- - - Updated - - -

The lad is trying to gain experience by doing the works, part of gaining experience is to ask question, part of being a cowboy is to go full steam ahead, not asking questions and therefore making mistakes.

Joining a scheme is not what this guy should be doing, the cost of doing so compared to the amount of work he intends to carry out is just not financially viable.

If your dad is going to do this properly then i would suggest getting the council in for this one and for each tenant have an EICR done but a scheme member. I wouldn't cut corners and try do to things on the cheap when members of the public are involved.

In your own house things are different as we all know![/QUOTE]

Here we are debating doing work on his fathers flat which will have tenents in it. Hardly his own home is it.

I don't think you read my post correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you read my post correctly.

Probably not, it was late and after a few drinks.

BUT the constant stream of people coming on here and outlining situations is becoming less of a joke day by day. If this is what people admit to on here god help the clients of the cowboys and bodger builders out there.

Just yesterday I finished fixing a fault created by a numpty kitchen fitter who had used a JB under a floor, under a new kitchen unit, all built in, which was getting wet because the water table was high - and tripping to up front RCD taking out the whole house . The fitter had got a mate to sign off the install for 1 new socket, despite the fact there were actually 3 new sockets. She was lucky as I was able to run a replacement cable without too much disturbance to the spotless kitchen.

As far as I'm concerned DIYers can do what they like in their own home, luckily it creates work from time to time and I charge a premium to fix such work as its normally out of hours!

Fair comment but at least it's money a the end of the day!

I had my new boiler fitted the other day and I have had 2 leaks (which I've fixed myself) and today walked in to the house and it absolutely stinks of gas... He works for British Gas too.

One of the hardest things to deal with is having to sort faults caused by the homeowner who then starts to tell you that there's nothing wrong with what they did. The wife is usually telling you to sort out whatever needs doing while the husband gets stroppy and walks out maoning.

Reply to "Signing off" work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net