Discuss Small Bulbs Keep Blowing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed something very odd in my home. All of the small bulbs keep blowing. When I say small i mean the fridge bulb, the freezer bulb and today the cooker bulb blew, tripping the fuse and this was a brand new bulb fitted only a week ago.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this please?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys but this one is a definite weird one... the bulbs actually shatter and i've never know 3 different bulbs which should last a decent amount of time all blow after just a few days of use.

Many cheap lamps are intolerant to overvoltages. If lamps in different appliances on different circuits persist in blowing, first off I would check the voltage. But not just once during the day. A few months ago at home, we were in the low 240's during the day, however by late at night this was up into the mid 250's, over the +/- 10% threshold. The DNO monitored it for a few days, then tapped it down at the transformer.

You can buy a cheap 'plug-in' 13a consumer voltage meter, which although it may not be particularly accurate, should be good enough to indicate if you are getting either wide fluctuations (increases at off peak times being the common scenario) or indeed if your supply voltage is too high all the time. Your DNO will sit up and listen as soon as there is reasonable evidence that you're getting over 253v. Or if you have a local, friendly spark, taking a reading is quick & simple.

Fridge and freezer (not oven) you can fit LED instead of halogen. They will be much more tolerant of on/off cycles, vibration and voltage fluctuation.

Hi E - I've not seen fridge or oven lamps shattered, but that would make me think they did not have the tempered glass that could withstand their environments, rather than suspect the electricity supply. Perhaps try new lamps from a new source?

To add, a lot of European imports are geared towards 220V I believe. Are you close to an electricity substation perhaps? If so, your incoming voltage could be on the high side. As Justin said above fit LED to the cold appliances, that should help. And try a good brand for the oven (although sometimes I doubt the difference between cheapo and expensive).

Reply to Small Bulbs Keep Blowing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net