Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As the fire was not related to an electrical fault I very much doubt that would stand up to legal scrutiny.
It doesnt matter eitherway as they had improved the kitchen and had a new kitchen ring circuit and cooker circuit. The insurance firm had covered them as the house was. By improving it and then using a iffy spark they had changed what was covered without notifying the insurer. Regardless of t andcs about who does work this is in nearly every policy. You are covered for what you have. If you add an extra bit on or carry out substantial improvements then the insurer has a greater liability so premiuns go up... Basically you tell them or when you claim you risk being told a firm NO.

I am aware of similar clauses in some mortgages that any major improvements. Extensions etc be notified to the bank and again electrical. Gas windows etc be done by approved persons... I wouldnt be surprised if the scams are actually encouraging the insurers to do this more.

I seriously think spmebody needs tp report this so called electrician to the council . trading standards etc.. If hes claiming hes in a scheme then report him. Hes clearly incompetent. There are 2nd year apprentices at my main job who would have done a better job than him.

On similar note i know of an instance locally where when a familys kitchen caught fire from a unattended fryer. The insurance company when they sent adjustor out to look at damage saw the kitchen was all new. He asked about who did works and electrics etc and because they had a dodgy electrician do the work and had no certs it invalidated the insurance so no pay out. It was in t and c's of policy about using competant persons . part p etc... It cost them a couple of grand to put right.

So my advice to the OP is get a proper electrician in or it might cost you dearly.

Not disagreeing that the OP needs to call a real sparky, but think the above case is just another Insurance company cop out, would love to see that come to court.
Typical loss adjuster though, anything to save the company money & up his bonus.

They, the insurance companies, are in it to make money. Anything which affects their profits, which includes claims, is frowned upon by them.

There's always the Ombudsman to refer to, and you could take them to court. But that does take time & money. Best seek to comply with the T&C's.

It's the same with cars. A lot of people don't notify their insurance company if they modify it. You might well get away with it on a smallish claim, but have a fight with a 70k porsche and they will investigate fully and ain't going to pay out.

This is the certificate he left us with. In regards to the switch it doesn't look like he has touched the switches... Just restored power to it. I did tinker with the switches myself a long time ago. Maybe I wired it up wrong?

2017-06-17-12-51-00.jpg

wrong certificate for a CU replacement. it's just for an altered circuit, which must be wired in superconductors with a R2 of 0.01 ohms. and conductors of 25mm and 16mm??? is the circuit for a cannabis farm? could look closer but my eyes are watering.

Total Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:
So should he of recommended the rewire? I'd rather not have that done if it's not essential. As we have hardwood flooring and laminate in all rooms. It would be an absolute nightmare!

So should he of recommended the rewire? I'd rather not have that done if it's not essential. As we have hardwood flooring and laminate in all rooms. It would be an absolute nightmare!

If and I do say If you have rubber covered wiring & wiring with no earth conductors then yes, you need a rewire.
Please take the advice already given to you, by several of us & get a proper electrical contractor in to look at it.

That "Certificate" you've been given, really isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Are those the rubber wires he's referring to? The ones he advised to get the electricity board to replace (free if charge)

View attachment 36877

They won't replace them they are after the meter. All they will do is put you an isolator in. I can't understand why your electrician who must of pulled the main fuse didn't connect straight into the meter??

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net