Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not sure about banking and shaming possibly should remove that post. He has fitted a very cheap basic con unit so as said 400 to do the job properly and would take a full day if you have a full test and all paperwork filled out. Why does he keep starting at 6pm? Would be good to see inside the board. Wonder if gas and water are even bonded in 10mm seeing as we are assuming that overheard line has been converted into a pme system????

This earth is connected to the water pipe outside the cupboard and another on the pipe inside near the CU

IMG_20170615_111456843.jpg

I've just been looking at the before and after pictures
BEFORE

AFTER

Once upon a time, this was a TT installation.
It would seem that he has removed the old VoELCB and done a "DIY" conversion of the supply to TNC-S. I thought that this could only be done by the DNO (electrical supplier), and not your general jobbing electrician.
but is it TNC-S. who knows if there's a N-E link in the head, and who knows if the supply is PME

but is it TNC-S. who knows if there's a N-E link in the head, and who knows if the supply is PME

He'll have had the main fuse out to fit the DP block where the old voltage trip once lived, maybe even put in a link himself ! Without seeing inside the board this job is rough as, why leave the main earth that long, no effort made to tidy or secure the tails and you can see the inner insulation on both old and new tails at the new block, shoddy !

for the CU change including certificate and fixing minor problems no more than £400 on my shift.

edit. just seen you rlas post. put the freezer on an extension lead to a working socket.

£400 for doing it out of normal hours? I'd be wanting a lot more for giving up an evening to do it.

Ok so all sockets are now working and the landing light except the switches don't seem to be working as they should... Combinations below...

Upstairs switch up, downstairs switch doesn't work.

Upstairs switch down, downstairs switch up - light on

Downstairs switch down, upstairs light switch does not work at all.

Ok so all sockets are now working and the landing light except the switches don't seem to be working as they should... Combinations below...

Upstairs switch up, downstairs switch doesn't work.

Upstairs switch down, downstairs switch up - light on

Downstairs switch down, upstairs light switch does not work at all.

You need a refund for the works done as they are blatantly shoddy. You then need to get another sparky to check your system thoroughly. If the obvious stuff is this bad then I'd be worried what hidden nasties there may be.

What is that 'Radio Teleswitch' doing of?

Was it for off peak heating? Might be worth getting that removed by DNO or Supplier. Then get Supplier to reposition meter and replace their tails, then ask the DNO what supply you have, then get another electrician/company in to reinstall CU (perhaps removing half the wooden board, ask DNO permiss' first) and advise on condition of your electrical installation.

I would think long and hard about paying for what's been done so far, get second opinion. If your electrician is not in a scam (government approved scheme :)), he's going to have trouble notifying to local building control, without some skulduggery.

Getting something like this done at 6 o'clock at night, is asking for trouble, IMO.

Hmm looking at what your 2 way lighting is doing, then it's pretty obvious that you need to find a decent electrician to look at your wiring ASAP.
As has already been said: If you haven't paid him already then I wouldn't do so.
He certainly doesn't seem to be up to the job. By the way, what certificate did he give you ?.

I seriously think spmebody needs tp report this so called electrician to the council . trading standards etc.. If hes claiming hes in a scheme then report him. Hes clearly incompetent. There are 2nd year apprentices at my main job who would have done a better job than him.

On similar note i know of an instance locally where when a familys kitchen caught fire from a unattended fryer. The insurance company when they sent adjustor out to look at damage saw the kitchen was all new. He asked about who did works and electrics etc and because they had a dodgy electrician do the work and had no certs it invalidated the insurance so no pay out. It was in t and c's of policy about using competant persons . part p etc... It cost them a couple of grand to put right.

So my advice to the OP is get a proper electrician in or it might cost you dearly.

I seriously think spmebody needs tp report this so called electrician to the council . trading standards etc.. If hes claiming hes in a scheme then report him. Hes clearly incompetent. There are 2nd year apprentices at my main job who would have done a better job than him.

On similar note i know of an instance locally where when a familys kitchen caught fire from a unattended fryer. The insurance company when they sent adjustor out to look at damage saw the kitchen was all new. He asked about who did works and electrics etc and because they had a dodgy electrician do the work and had no certs it invalidated the insurance so no pay out. It was in t and c's of policy about using competant persons . part p etc... It cost them a couple of grand to put right.

So my advice to the OP is get a proper electrician in or it might cost you dearly.
As the fire was not related to an electrical fault I very much doubt that would stand up to legal scrutiny.

As the fire was not related to an electrical fault I very much doubt that would stand up to legal scrutiny.

Insurance companies will look at any opportunity not to pay out in the event of a claim. I haven't a particular example to give, but have read of countless occasions where they have not paid a claim, because the claimant has not followed the insurance companies T&C's.

General conditions in home insurance T&C's typically state the insurer must inform if 'you are intending to alter or renovate the buildings (though not minor cosmetic changes such as re-decorating)'. If the T&C's state electrical work must be carried out by a competent electrician registered in a scheme (regardless of one's opinion is on that subject :)), then I could quite see Gavin's example occurring.

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net