Discuss smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

APSH

Hi guys, just a quick one. Pricing a job for a customer that is a c/u change, adding supp bond to bath rooms after confirming pipe work needs to be bonded and rejig lights and put in fan and isolation and fusing down for said lights and fans. Also adding a couple of sockets (on surface) and 2 radials for tumble and washing machine under stairs cupboard. Asked if they wanted smokes and was told no. Even tried to convince them of using r/f bases off the lights, but they were not having it. Just wondering if they can be left out as it is not a new build or change of use. All that is going on is my work, new bathroom suites and a bit of decorating to the rest of the house. really want this job as it could potentially lead to other work but don't want to do a job that will not comply with regs. Just wondering on your thoughts. Cheers

You can only advise the customer of your opinion its there house and money at the end of the day so they can't be forced (I recommend them the same as yourself as they can help preserve life in the event of fires), if building control were involved they usually insist and won't sign a job off without them but as they are not involved it is the customers decision at the end of the day.............The job is not electrically unsafe because there are no smoke/heat detectors, you could also put your recommendations on your certification if you want to cover your behind.

There is no requirement for an electrician to install smoke and/or heat detectors on an existing install, only on new builds and in some cases extensions depending on the view of your local LABC.

In your case just changing a cu and some extra works, you are fine. As above you can verbally advise them to get some but I wouldnt put it as a recommendation on the EIC.

What i do when i get this type of situation i drop the address off to our local fire prevention team they then contact them and install free smoke detectors thats if they want them that is, for free they normally do

Despite the recent fires where families have lost their lives the rules regarding fitting smoke alarms remain unchanged.

New builds - yes
Refurbishes (rewires) - a grey area and open to interpretation
Any other work - no.

My 2 pence worth - we are "forced" to install bonding cables to gas and water but nothing about smokes - surely it should be all 3.

Hi guys just a quick one to say thanks for help. I agree I think it should be that they are installed, but can't get the customer to agree. Had long conversation today and they was not going to budge. Was thinking of using this for my major assesment, if done in time. I have already done a cu change but thought that this one showed more examples of work. Any way we shall see. Once again, thanks for the help.

Reply to smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net