Discuss Socket and sink. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Thewiz

We all know the regulations from power by a sink is 300mm

Does anyone know if this is from the tap or from the edge of the basin?

It's obviously got to be from the tap hasn't it! That way you can get a socket above the draining board, and even above the sink on some of those posh double bowled jobbies.

So because I asked that. You suggest I need a refresher? Because I was going sure if it was 300mm from tap or the sink? I have seen some other posts. A lot of you seem to gang up on people and tell them they should not carry out the work.
Is this not a forum to learn ? Or is it for all the best sparks around the world to come and discuss how bad others are?

We are yanking your chain, hence the joking aside bit, calm down, if you have been in the trade for 25 years you should understand a bit of banter when you see it jeez lol

Your post made reference to a regulation which does not exist, asked a question to which the answer is blindingly obvious and was written in very poor English.

The natural assumption of anyone reading it is that you haven't got a clue.

So because I asked that. You suggest I need a refresher? Because I was going sure if it was 300mm from tap or the sink? I have seen some other posts. A lot of you seem to gang up on people and tell them they should not carry out the work.
Is this not a forum to learn ? Or is it for all the best sparks around the world to come and discuss how bad others are?

The point is that an EICR is carried out to show compliance with Bs 7671....in which you will not find any reference to minimum distance from a sink.

MDF is chief chain yanker and a good bloke.

Don't forget to breathe Thewiz ;)

300mm from sink (not draining board) horizontally or vertically.
It's supposedly to prevent someone plugging something in while their hands are in a sink full of water.

It is a rubbish building reg anyway.... Measure the flex from most kitchen appliances, they will reach the sink filled with water lol. Lets just play by the rules, makes the labc happy lol.

Last edited:
300mm from sink (not draining board) horizontally or vertically.
It's supposedly to prevent someone plugging something in while their hands are in a sink full of water.
You'd have to be really small not to have a fingertip to fingertip measurement of less than 300mm though

Reply to Socket and sink. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net