Discuss Sockets making tv turn on and off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have an issue that has stumped me.

My TV turns it self on and off from standby to on and back to standby continuously but only in two separate sockets in the lounge.

It seems to always have power but flicking between the two modes

Plugged the tv in to every other socket on that ring main and around the house and it works fine but plug back in to either of those two sockets and it turns on and off continuously.

I've swapped the MCB over and no change, still turns on and off

Put that ring main on to the other side of the distribution unit and still turns on and off only on those two sockets

Replaced both sockets still the same

Checked the connections on the sockets before and after and they are fine.

Unplugged every plug in the house still the same

Fitted a new surge protector incase the tv is detecting surges but still the same

I am a qualified electrician but not done any electrical work in several years so a bit rusty

Anyone ever come across this before?

Last edited:
Check ring continuity first, maybe a loose connection or 2.

Reply to Sockets making tv turn on and off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I moved home a few months ago and the electrics RCD keep tripping. Sometimes it will happen every few days and sometimes will be fine for a...
Replies
Views
I had an interesting little job this morning. Three sockets in an extension were not working and haven't worked for quite some time (years). It...
Replies
Views
Hi all, we had our gas hob removed months ago and finally just got round to putting an induction hob in. Its a normal 4 ring induction but one of...
Replies
Views
Woke up this morning and tried to turn on the computer (work from home) wouldn't power on, checked lights they worked fine. Went downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Hey, I lifted a few sockets from a wall so I could paint without having to cut in around them. I haven’t lifted any light switches yet. When...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock