Discuss Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If a door from a room leads away from a hazard to a place or route of safety it is deemed an escape route and from the picture I suspect it does.

As it has a closer I suspect it is an escape route. But why worry about the wiring with a flat screen TV mounted above the door? I'd worry more about that falling on my head as a fireman..

Would some metal conduit clamps over the plastic above the door be enough to be compliant?

Last edited:
As it has a closer I suspect it is an escape route. But why worry about the wiring with a flat screen TV mounted above the door? I'd worry more about that falling on my head as a fireman..

Would some metal conduit clamps over the plastic above the door be enough to be compliant?
Steel saddles are a solution and easy to retrofit.
You would be pushed to find any door which would not be part of an escape route in a commercial premises.

When ever I read Pat H's threads I always get the feeling we are not being told the whole story.........

What story do you want?
I'm not buzlightyear I'm afaid. Whoever that is.

What story do you want?
I'm not buzlightyear I'm afaid. Whoever that is.

On more than 1 occasion, in threads, its become clear after numerous replies that you eventually provide additional useful information.....

Your house or an unsuspecting customers?

On more than 1 occasion, in threads, its become clear after numerous replies that you eventually provide additional useful information.....

Your house or an unsuspecting customers?

Sorry if my eventual additional info is useful. (I think not really sure what that is)

read my profile info it tells all there is to tell.

I have posted posts related to my house and others related to customers or just general questions.

Like a said being picky but there is no containment for the conductors between the existing back box and the new box aside from butting them together.

If a door from a room leads away from a hazard to a place or route of safety it is deemed an escape route and from the picture I suspect it does.
Using that definition, that would mean every room in any property in every premise is part of an escape route? I'm not sure about that.

Why does it need containment out of interest? You wouldn't put containment between a flush box and thermostat/programmer back plate for example IMO its a similar scenario.
The conductors stop at the accessory and are contained within the back box. In this instance although as I said being picky they pass between enclosures . Would you butt up two conduit terminal boxes through a thin partition without some forms of bush. I agree in this instance it is an air space but it is that space where containment is absent.

Using that definition, that would mean every room in any property in every premise is part of an escape route? I'm not sure about that.
Give me an instance where a door may not be an escape route. If you have passed through it there may be a requirement for you to pass back through it an emergency situation, even the door to a toilet cubicle. You are sitting on the loo and the fire alarm goes off that cubicle door is your escape route, far fetched but true.

Hi - my 20p worth - aim is to create one containment, consisting of the original back box, the new pattress and the face plate. If successful no additional segregation or containment would be required. The new containment would need to be rigidly joined and pass IP-wise, which it looks like. Or have I misunderstood? (Prolly not enough unpickled brain cells left.)

Edit : what HS said ☝️

Reply to Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net