Discuss Spur from spur in bedroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul2978

DIY
Reaction score
I've recently had an electrician round to wire in some new sockets in the bedrooms. While looking at them today I believe he has just spured 1 socket and then spured to the next on the back wall. I can see the cables going from one socket to another so I know it is not tapped of a ring. Is there any situation where having a spur from a spur is OK. There is no fused spur I know this as it goes back to the main board. I picked him has he was registered but I am sure this is not allowed.

What is the protective device for the circuit?

If a 32A circuit wired as a ring, in 2.5mm2 cable, then more than one double socket on a spur, and it would be fused down.

But if a 16A or 20A circuit, probably wired as a radial, then it would likely be fine. Or a 32A circuit wired in 4mm2 cable would likely be OK also.

Of course, any new sockets MUST have RCD protection.

It's 2.5mm I looks like it's on a 16amp breaker we had the board changed last year. So the board as a rcd covering all sockets. I just thought the regs said you cannot spur from a spur unless it is fused

The reason for fusing down on a 32A ring is to protect the cable, 2.5mm2 twin & earth is not rated to 32A. What it is rated to depends on the installation method (buried in plaster, in insulation, etc), but normally it is 20-odd A, and so there is no reason to fuse it down if you already have a 16A MCB protecting the cabling.

Yes. If it’s a radial circuit, 2.5mm cable, with a 16A OCPD.

you said the board was changed last year?
could you give us a photograph and say if it’s plastic or metal?
Just curious

Reply to Spur from spur in bedroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net