Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Static shock from light switches even with power off?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. coxyboy

coxyboy Active EF Member

I was called out to a job today and found something I have never come across before....
    when I got to the property the tenant explained what was happening - she was getting what she called a "shock" when ever she turned the lights on upstairs in the two bedrooms and the landing. So I tested to see if there was any voltage at each switch and there wasn't. But sure thing as soon as I touched the switch I got a shock. I would say it was more of a big static shock than a normal voltage shock. So I had a little play around to investigate.

ie removing each switch reterminating and making sure the earths were connected. But still no joy. I turned off the main switch so there was no power to any circuit but I was still getting the static from each switch in both bedrooms and on the landing.

Has any one ever come across this problem before? If so what did you do to solve the problem??

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

2. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member Admin

Saw this in a house that had a cheap nylon type carpet and once this was changed no more static shocks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KAS1

KAS1 Electrician's Arms

Nylon carpets lol

4. dan86

dan86 DIY

....+1

5. Mork

Mork Regular EF Member

Do a Zs test at the affected switches, you may be floating.

6. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Ditto.

Cheapo carpets. Disconnect the cpc and you`ll see it wont happen, assuming there is no path to earth elsewhere. Changing the switches to plastic ones or if they already are, putting plastic screw covers over the set pins will solve it. Cheaper than new carpets. May still happen on ovens etc though.

7. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

If you add underfloor heating to the mix, those pesky metal lights switches become lethal from static. Static likes dry atmosphere and its coming from the carpets. They might find its better in summer when the humidity rises.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Electrician's Arms

Yep change switches to the ones that have plastic covers on the screw because the tenant is earthing themselves another thing is tell the customer to run the back of her hand on the wall or staircase either that ditch the cheap nylon carpet

9. Happyneiller

Happyneiller Guest

Agreed - static

10. markc123

markc123 Forum Mentor

Go round tomorrow and rip the carpet up whilst acting like an Ape.

• Like Like x 5
  11. markc123

markc123 Forum Mentor

If she says 'what the F' tell her its for the greater good

• Like Like x 1
  12. lushers

lushers Guest

I had this very same thing today but the only difference was each it was various light fittings on the circuit; it would either be on the fixing screws or the terminals themselves, either through my hand or i would get a small spark through my voltage testers. The other difference was that unlike nylon carpets it was mostly laminate flooring. Help......

13. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member Admin

Can you give a better explanation? What terminals and what voltage testers?

14. lushers

lushers Guest

I was just using my combi check testers to check for voltage, it would happen at whichever terminal I put my first probe on. having looked at other threads similar to this I think it might be a build up of static from the laminate flooring.

15. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member Admin

I'm not buying the 'static from laminate flooring' theory to be honest. I'd test to a wander lead connected to the MET. Maybe do a Ze test first as well.