Discuss storage heating alternative in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice.
A client is wanting to get rid of his panel heaters in some of his letting cottages which are currently running off the 24hour supply and change them to storage heaters as he thinks this will be a cheaper option. There are already storage heaters in the main areas of the houses (lounge, hall,and kitchen) which he wants to keep on the E7 tariff.
Am I right in saying he'd be better getting rid of all storage heaters and install more modern panel heaters from a normal domestic meter at a reasonable rate from an electricity supplier?
If so does anyone know the most eco friendly panel heaters out there.

Cheers, Donny

You could keep the storage heaters to provide 'background' heat, then use the panel heaters in case of a cold snap or for extra heat in the evenings.
I don't see how an electric heater can be much more efficient bearing in mind heat is generally considered to be an inefficiency loss (such as with light bulbs) and in this case heat is what you want.

Cheers JoeCliffe, I've checked Rointe out they seem pretty spot on!

Cheers for reply Adam, I don't think my client would want two sources of heating in each room. Not enough wall space unless it was a storage/convector heater of course but then more wiring would need to be installed. Think I need to look into the tariffs a bit more see what the cheaper and more eco option is.
Possibly Rointe heaters throughout the house

A few threads on here about the Rointe heaters, conclusion is roughly they're over priced fan heaters.

Ground/air source is a good way to go but pricey. As for full electric.....I'd only opt for 24 hour rate electric heating if it's being used as a back up for a wood burner

Adam, basically the cottages are old stone buildings and they get damp throughout the winter as they're not let. The panel heaters in the rooms are old fashioned and out of date so he wants to put storage heaters in which I think are possibly a waste of money. I think upgrading the panel heaters and putting them through timers would be easier and cheaper rather than wire for storage heaters. You're right Fin. Rointe are to pricey. I'm just looking for any thoughts or advice. Cheers

Yes but couldn't they turn the storage heaters down and benefit from the cheaper economy 7 electricity? Then replace the old and out of date panel heaters with newer and more up to date panel heaters?

Yeah well that was my first thought just to update what's existing. Then I wad told that the e7 tariff is a Rio off. Which to be honest is news to me so I'm just trying to get peoples opinions on it.

Thanks

Could they switch suppliers? The whole point of E7 storage heaters is that the heat from the electricity is stored overnight when it's cheaper. I shouldn't imagine the walls care whether they're being heated during the day or at night. Perhaps they could install a coin operated meter, or replace the old panel heaters for smaller ones so it doesn't make as much difference if the people who rent the cottages decide to ignore the storage heaters because they think they don't work when they don't heat up straight away and leave the panel heaters on all day.

e7, I believe is only worth it if you have a strorage heater system.

Then it becomes worthwhile.

Storage might be the way to go instead of timers on the panels, as I'm guessing the summer lets will still be using the heating.
The dimplex duoheat are worth looking into, with the programmer they can be quite flexible.
You can lock the individual heater controls and just use the programmer.

It is basically an expensive way to heat a place but sometimes the only option other than gas tank or oil.

Although to be fair I ripped mine out and put in a woodburner with boilers for the CH.

It is an option there looking into. That was my thought because peoplr who rent them if there cold they want heat straight away and storage heaters can lose there heat quite quickly so panels would be better for rooms which is the norm anyway. Think Mt clients getting a bit carried away with putting storage heaters in the room. Thanks for your comments

I've just done a duoheat system and the client is delighted with them the programmer is good for them as they have the same issues as your client.

Reply to storage heating alternative in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net