Discuss Strange Neutral in Armoured from Meter to Henley. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks everyone for the advice. May I ask, does the termination look ok as there are comments it looks bad, like not great bad or get the dno out to fix it bad.

I’m thinking about asking the Dno to fit an isolator on my side of the meter, can they do that using this cable?

That split concentric cable is on your (the outgoing) side of the meter so may well be your responsibility. I've seen it used like that before for sub mains but as has been stated it I would imagine need rcd protection. That is a very rough termination but I have seen worse, as long as the terminals have no signs of arcing I would say it will be ok till you can get someone to look at it! I would get someone local who has a good reputation to take a look before contacting the dno.
I take it your meter is some distance from your consumer unit?

The meter is actually outside in one of those boxes normally home to a gas meter, it’s under a raised part of the house so whilst it’s outside, the box is under cover. The cable runs from the box about 30ft round the basement then up to a second 100amp fuse and then into the CU.

Thanks for the help, I’m going to find someone local to Oban who can come and take a look. Not sure how long it’s been like this be the wiring to the house was pretty appalling before it flooded.

The most relevant thing is the second 100Amp fuse. If this is a second cutout then all preceeding cabling is likely to be the responsibility of the dno. Do you have a photo of this fuse and does it have a dno seal?
If it looks dnoish then I would call them out for a look see and ask if the installation is compliant under their esqcr regs.

It is certainly an untidy job, the cable should be terminated using a 3 finger boot and heat shrink on the conductors.
Connection directly into the meter load terminals should be avoided by fitting a KMF and meter tails /earth to it then connecting the split con to the load side ensuring the split con is adequately cleated.
You may find your other “cut out” is in fact a Red Link rather than another fused cut out to provide a means of isolation albeit single pole.
As it stands the sub main is your responsibility so it may be worth asking if the meter could be moved to your consumer unit position and a double pole isolator fitted between the two.
Looking at the meter it appears well overdue for recertification so request a new meter from your supplier.

Reply to Strange Neutral in Armoured from Meter to Henley. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net