Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 113
Simple fault....lol. Plenty would be scratching there head at this one.

Just to clarify...I had a spark and a labourer at the job for 3 hours. I popped in for 1 hour with no test gear to check the obvious....I go back friday and armed with the correct gear I WILL find it..

This is all assuming my guys have done the procedures as they should have ....kinda hoping they have not

The customer has complete trust in me, so please concentrate on your own customer relations !

Why would you pop in on a repeat visit, frankly embarrassing, fault finding job with no test gear. Like a fireman turning up at a fire without a hose!!

Why would you pop in on a repeat visit, frankly embarrassing, fault finding job with no test gear. Like a fireman turning up at a fire without a hose!!

Franky embarrassing?

Ive have done a thousands of pounds worth of work for this customer and will get thousands more. Me "popping in", when passing on my way home for free, is what I call customer service not "frankly embarrassing"

Idiot.

And still, would any of you have found the blowing leaf yet ? No.
I would have found the fault the first time I was there fella, Like I mentioned earlier in the thread which you confirmed your guys didn't test correctly. The situation now is you need to get back there and sort it out with your test kit, I would recommend you take your guys with you and show them the testing routine. Good luck, I know you can sort it out.

I would have found the fault the first time I was there fella, Like I mentioned earlier in the thread which you confirmed your guys didn't test correctly. The situation now is you need to get back there and sort it out with your test kit, I would recommend you take your guys with you and show them the testing routine. Good luck, I know you can sort it out.

Thanks, but what Im asking is, if this leave only blows every so often and touches the connection how can you possibly find that in one visit ? When you test everything is fine. Considering the house is massive and I reckon it would take half day just to check all cables.

My point is no one can say they would 100% find a fault first time...far to many crazy scenarios can happen.

Well, it is, what are you gonna do with no tester? Eh, nothing at all but sympathise with the customer. Limp dick at an orgy springs to mind

Well I spent the hour checking all connections, martindaling all sockets, isolating suspect parts to leave over night.....so actually my hour was quite productive?

In case you don't know fault finding is about process of elimination...
and doing alternative things when limited is called initiative ...get some.

Thanks, but what Im asking is, if this leave only blows every so often and touches the connection how can you possibly find that in one visit ? When you test everything is fine. Considering the house is massive and I reckon it would take half day just to check all cables.

My point is no one can say they would 100% find a fault first time...far to many crazy scenarios can happen.

Check which way the wind is blowing before you leaf to go to the job,then leaf the boys in the van because there useless anyway, then dont leaf until you have found the fault and leaf the customer happy.
Leaf it out now!!

Well I spent the hour checking all connections, martindaling all sockets, isolating suspect parts to leave over night.....so actually my hour was quite productive?

In case you don't know fault finding is about process of elimination...

Hold up. You are the OP, Im not the one who has the problem fault finding here. You already said you did not check for earth leakage with loads connected, that is a 1st visit check. I helped you out there. I am VERY aware of the processes and love fault finding, cause I'm good at it.

But as I said earlier, surely a exposed connection would be a obvious place to start?

Yes but your are not taking into account the size of the property. Is your first port of call when fault finding to trace every cable and check for exposed connections ?.........no. Checking every cable in this property would take days.....So, the leaf fault ......can anyone say they would honestly find that in a few hours ?

The leaf fault is just an example by the way. Squeaky floorboard could be another, how would you possible find that until someone stood on the board that was jamming the cable ?

And yes I have stomped all around the guys house .....he did look at me kind funny!

First port of call for fault finding, ask customer for as much info as possible, then visually check everything checking for cracked accessories looking at outside lights too see signs of ingress of water etc, checking for covers missing. Then the tester and tools come out. So about a hours work could possibly find the fault without too much time wasted.

Hold up. You are the OP, Im not the one who has the problem fault finding here. You already said you did not check for earth leakage with loads connected, that is a 1st visit check. I helped you out there. I am VERY aware of the processes and love fault finding, cause I'm good at it.

No you said turning up for an hour with no test gear was a waste of time , I proved it wasn't.

First port of call for fault finding, ask customer for as much info as possible, then visually check everything checking for cracked accessories looking at outside lights too see signs of ingress of water etc, checking for covers missing. Then the tester and tools come out. So about a hours work could possibly find the fault without too much time wasted.

No problem Ill pass your number on next time super spark!

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net