Discuss Strange set up - damn 25 characters in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say so! That grey/red tail in top of cutout looks like it should go into that MK double connector block below....tut! Tut!

Is it commercial property? Commercial supplies had smart metres a while before domestic smart metres came in, the fact the other DB is going through the meter would mean some electricity is being consumed and wouldn't arouse suspicions with the supplier ......crafty!

It’s a corner shop across from my house. The whole set up is a mess. Asked to replace 3 smashed socket outlets. One of them was. Ring with 3 spurs off the back! I soon took 2 away.

IV Not said anything to them yet. I’m going back tonight to fill around the sockets so I’ll tell them.

Hopefully they were not aware and will do the right thing and get it rectified. They have only been in the shop 2 years so it was probably done before that

Like with the bypassed supplies on cannabis grows the supplier can quite easily extrapolate back the electricity usage to show the time the bypass started and likely revenue loss. Have your clients checked their loft? ;)

Spoke with him yesterday. He didn’t understand at first, once he did he was really worried and has asked if I can take it out.

The seal is still on the cutout fuse.

Iv pulled a few fuses before so that’s no problem but how would I then go about removing that tail from the cutout?

Do they own the shop or is it leased? If leased I’d be having serious word with the landlord. Do you know what the bypassed CU is supplying to get a feel if it’s been taking a serious load over the two years.
If it was my shop I’d get the DNO in to confirm the situation and then unleash hell on the landlord if rented.

The seal is still on the cutout fuse.

Really?? The DNO left it like that, or the CU on the picture was fitted on a live cable?

Don't cut the seal. The DNO don't like that.... (yeh, we've all done it)
The customer should contact the DNO himself, explain it was like that when he moved in. Is there any stickers to say when the meter was changed? Or a dated sticker on the c.u to say when next test due?

Could open a can worms! Especially if the supplier gets involved and back dates the meter readings, it should have been spotted as soon as they took possession of the shop.....not 2years later!
Is it not possible to put it back how it should be?

I haven’t changed anything in the system except the work iv done (replacing damaged socket outlets)

I honestly believe he wasn’t aware of it. They are a Sri Lanka family who don’t speak the best English. It took me a little while to get him to fully understand what was going on.

Il take the advice and not touch it. Would the dno just come and take it out or would they be required to report it too?

Have you tried pulling on the wire that goes into the top of the cut out? If it was fitted without removing seals, then it's just wedged in place.
Don't, whatever you do, remove the cut out to isolate the supply. Smart meters record loss of power events, and one that doesn't coincide with a loss of supply could lead to questions.

Reply to Strange set up - damn 25 characters in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net