Discuss Strings uneven MPPT Voltage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was installing solivia inverters last weeks with 4 pairs of inputs on it, bit one MPP tracker so its irrelevant how many inputs are there.
Its also down the the installer how many isolators/ wires etc are arranged in what way.

Don't want to throw another spanner in the works but Sharp don't like their panels secured on the short side when in landscape.

I know its not ideal because of drainage etc but also read on here somewhere it doesnt matter too much (its the only way to get 16 panels on the roof)

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be fitted landscape but some panels cannot be clamped on the short sides as it will invalidate the warranty. Vertical rails are required.

I'm not sure if this is the case with Sharp panels. I know it used to be the case but I haven't used them for a while. Does anyone know if Sharp have changed their spec with regards to clamping the panels?

Just had a look at the installation guide. They can't be clamped on the short side but can be installed on verticals and clamped on the long side or can be cross railed. So it depends on how they've been fitted. You should be able to see where the clamps are - if they are on the short side your warranty will be void if they are on the long side the installer must have either cross railed or used verticals.

I think your best course of action is to work with your installer. We've all been under unbelievable pressure for the last few weeks and mistakes can happen. The last thing you need is a load of aggro and a system that's not working properly for the next few months.

I'd put in writing your concerns and ask your installer to visit next week when the dust has started to settle to discuss how things can be put right. Once the pressure is off next week you should get a reasonable response and a timely modification to your system.

I'm not condoning what's happened, but I can see how it might have happened and if you get it sorted you're one of the lucky ones to have got an excellent price for installation at the 43p fit rate. The 20 or so customers I had to turn away because we couldn't fit them in would rather be in your shoes.

Funny old world at the minute :-(

If you don't get sorted take it to REAL and Consumer Direct but please give the installer the chance to put it right first.

Garty,

Can you say how you get on with sorting out the short side fixing. I have the same issue, the other way round (10 portrait, 6 landscape) and think that the short side fixing of the 6 is a problem.

My thread is "Worrying incompetance or just minor niggles in the last minute rush??" sorry - not sure how to link yet!

Reply to Strings uneven MPPT Voltage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net