Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Supplier issue? Advice needed please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Andy C

Andy C Local boat transport

Business Name:
    A.C.Electrics
    The photo I have taken of a up and coming job shows a wish mash of cables.
    The old rewardable board is coming out and the client wants an updated dual RCD board replacing the existing one and the old board.

I don't have a problem with that and have also advised re mains smoke detectors and upgrading of earthing. A few other bits need replacing.

My question relates to the 16mm supply cables. the live appears to be connected at a henly block. The neutral seems to be coming direct from the meter and also direct from the cutout to the split board. I haven't seen this before as I thought everything came from the meter.

To get rid of the old fuse board I will need the supplier to attend and remove the tails that go direct to the meter.

Also the 6mm to the left is nickel plated coper so what is the age of this cable 40 years or so?

Has anyone else seen this set up?
    Is the best solution to ask the supplier to just install both tails to henley blocks so i can connect to there.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0033.jpg

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    The 6mm2 you mentioned will be I imagine an old Imperial cable probably 7/044

• Like Like x 1
  3. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Looks like whoever installed the later unit was short of a connection block. The choice is yours.
    As regards the 6mm, it's tinned copper and probably 1960's, although I don't know which cable you mean on the photo.
    Earthing looks dicey ......4 or 6mm?..and I'd check that TN s connection, the cable looks newish.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

To get rid of the old fuse board I will need the supplier to attend and remove the tails that go direct to the meter.

Not necessary
    The neutral from the meter to the old rewireable could be taken out of the fuse board
    Lob off (near the cut out) the neutral to the newer board, fit a service connector block,reconnect both neutrals
    Put another connector block for the lobbed off neutral thats left poking out of the cut out

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Think I might get an isolator in there as the work progresses on the cut-out. There is really nothing for the DNO to do. All the wiring there is past the meter so they have no need to touch it at all. Maybe they could remove the neutral for you so you just go into isolator off to your Henley and all else from there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy C

Andy C Local boat transport

Business Name:
    A.C.Electrics
    Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated as always.

7. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

Thought it looked strange, then realised cut-out is upside down, usually have fuse on left. Nothing wrong really, but would be better to have all neutrals to block, just tidier.

• Like Like x 1