Discuss SWA as cpc to submain-Suitability, & PC's on RCD's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah should be able to sort that, seems a bit less of a mess than getting it below ground. I suppose it throws up the question of whether we need a gas safe guy to cap it off considering its disconnected at the other end?
If it is disconnected possibly not, but just in case I would get a gas safe person to do the work.

But if it really is an unused section of pipe and so ends could be open once established, is there any chance you could draw along 35mm tri-rated as a CPC?

My suspicion is no as it might have 90 deg bends that are too tight a radius shortly below the surface at each end, but if it were possible to dig down to any bends then you might have a useful section of "duct" for a CPC.
Regarding my point on the break in the gas pipe in the main warehouse..........it is essentially now two separate pipes both of which go underground at some point (1 feeding in as the mains supply now capped, the other as the feed to the office)......both of these are presumably now separate extraneous conductive parts and therefore both require bonding at the main warehouse?
I would bond them at the supply end at least.

The other thought is if this now-unused buried gas pipe is no longer carrying any flammable substance, and it is fully on their site so under their control, could it be consider an earth rod for TT-ing the out-building?

The other thought is if this now-unused buried gas pipe is no longer carrying any flammable substance, and it is fully on their site so under their control, could it be consider an earth rod for TT-ing the out-building?

No because it still enters the main installation and is bonded there. It wouldn't act so much as an earth rod as it would a direct connection between the two installations.

At which point we could start to talk ourselves round in circles.

No because it still enters the main installation and is bonded there. It wouldn't act so much as an earth rod as it would a direct connection between the two installations.
If it is unused it could be capped close to ground and covered with insulation at the main building.

I.e. Opposite to first thought of bonding at main building and insulate at out building.

Reply to SWA as cpc to submain-Suitability, & PC's on RCD's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net