Discuss SWA cable installation to outside Garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkman123

Hi Guys,

I would like to install power in my detached garage and was wondering what the correct type/size of SWA cable/glanding/steel junction boxes if needed etc. I would need to connect it between the House CU and a garage CU via SWA cable buried under lawn.The distance involved from house CU to intended garage CU is approx 12mtr. I was intending to use the spare ways on the 30 mA RCD side of my house Split Load CU.

The supply would only be for the following :-

1 x Double 13 A Socket

1 x IP 66 Single unswitched 13A outdoor socket

6 x Double 70W Fluorescent light fittings

Note - I do not intend to use any form of welding equipment or other potential heavy loads.

Of particular interest to me is the method of glanding and earthing this install would require.Any help/tips on this greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Cheers,
Sparkman123

What are your earthing arrangments?

Would you not be better using a spare unprotected way in the c/u and then protecting the garage circuits with their own rcd?

1) if protected by the house rcd and it trips out you'll have to wander back to the house to reset it and it will take out the house protected circuits as well.

2) if you were thinking rcd in both garage and house you'll have problems with discrimination.

What are your earthing arrangments?

Would you not be better using a spare unprotected way in the c/u and then protecting the garage circuits with their own rcd?

1) if protected by the house rcd and it trips out you'll have to wander back to the house to reset it and it will take out the house protected circuits as well.

2) if you were thinking rcd in both garage and house you'll have problems with discrimination.

Hi Mr Hehound;829323,

My earthing arrangements are TN-S

Yes, I could use a spare unprotected way in the CU, makes more sense when you look at it like that.I am also interested in the SWA cable type termination of the install.

Thanks

Sparkman123

Hi Mr Hehound;829323,

My earthing arrangements are TN-S

Yes, I could use a spare unprotected way in the CU, makes more sense when you look at it like that.I am also interested in the SWA cable type termination of the install.

Thanks

Sparkman123

SWA terminating and cable prep is not rocket science, but if you have no experience of it, then you need someone to show you how to do it, and then have a good few practices for 2 reasons.

1, If you keep getting wrong on your installed cable, you will eventually end up cutting it too short and will have to buy some more.

2, The gland kit needs to be correctly installed to give protection against the elements it is likely to be exposed to (we call it "External Influences"), and they also need to be electrically sound, even if you dont use the armouring as your earth, it needs to be properly earthed just in case it does become live.

Cheers...........Howard

SWA terminating and cable prep is not rocket science, but if you have no experience of it, then you need someone to show you how to do it, and then have a good few practices for 2 reasons.

1, If you keep getting wrong on your installed cable, you will eventually end up cutting it too short and will have to buy some more.

2, The gland kit needs to be correctly installed to give protection against the elements it is likely to be exposed to (we call it "External Influences"), and they also need to be electrically sound, even if you dont use the armouring as your earth, it needs to be properly earthed just in case it does become live.

Cheers...........Howard

Thanks Howard,

Cheers,
Sparkman123

Reply to SWA cable installation to outside Garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net