Discuss Sy cable question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nathansinar

Hi guys new to the forum and will introduce myself shortly :p

I have attached an image of a spur i have taken as you can see from the attached image

I am doing a trainee maintenance engineer role and just wanted some info on the below.

1.) when using sy cable do you have to earth the sheeth? i have had various reponses saying it is good practice but you can get away with using the cpc inside the cable and that alone?

2.) in the image i have posted becuase the sheeth hasnt been used an earth from the the spur to what ever it is feeding, does an earth need adding from the back of the spur plate to actual spur box as it could become live?? is it a reg that this needs to be done?

Thanks for help!

Nathan

20161121_102753.jpg

SY cable should not be used for that purpose. in the pic shown, what would happen if the strands of that metallic screen shorted out to a Live terminal in the accessory. at best it's a bodge. at worst dangerous.

Thanks for the reply it was something i did earlier this week i showed a sparky who said it isnt compulsory to earth the sheeth

I just wanted some proper feedback to the questions i rasied

Thanks
Nathan

You will have difficulty finding a worded statement from an official source whether to earth the braid or not.

IMO< the braid should be earthed, but i still frown on SY cable being used instead of SWA . also any of those black insulated conductors that carry line voltages should be sleeved brown and any neutrals sleeved blue.

Im only stating what a proper sparky said sy is adequte to use in this scenario?? and im just curious to see what the regs actually state to the 2 questions i posted

Of course the correct SY glands should be used.

Strictly speaking BS7671 does not recognise the use of SY cable (or CY or YY) and it normally should only be used for controls. These cables are to VDE standards and there is no appropriate British Standard for them.

Im just stating what a proper sparky has told me... the regs dont state that they have to be glanded like that? i agree earthing the sheeth is better but its not compulsory? and in the image shown does an earth need to be run from the back of spur plate to the actually box??

Thanks

In answer to question 2:

The backbox doesn't need to be earthed as you have 2 fixed lugs that the faceplate screws into. However its always good practice to run an earth strapper from the FCU to the backbox.

Personally, I Connect the braid to earth but not to be used as an earth, as it can't handle the fault current
A internal conductor should be used for this.

I meant the plastic glands he is using ;)

Thanks for the feedback i completely agree with what your saying i am only stating that ive been told you can use plastic glands and you dont always have earth the metal braid i agree its better but the im sure the regs dont state its a must do???

Hi
sorry cant open the link for some reason what is your point?
from the image i have attached their is nothing wrong with it i agree yes many will say to earth the braid but all i wish to know is

is it compulsory? and becuase i havent done so does an earth need running from the spur face plate to the actual fcu?

thanks

Reply to Sy cable question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net