Search the forum,

Discuss Taking action against a cowboy install... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There’s something not right here, you’re a DI and yet you can’t identify what type of board it is. The faults you list are minor little niggles except the cooker / RCD issue, that you don’t give a clear answer on.
I’m thinking this is just sour grapes because mummy got some one else in. If she’s been waiting years for you to sort a light switch, I can’t say I blame her.

There’s something not right here, you’re a DI and yet you can’t identify what type of board it is. The faults you list are minor little niggles except the cooker / RCD issue, that you don’t give a clear answer on.
I’m thinking this is just sour grapes because mummy got some one else in. If she’s been waiting years for you to sort a light switch, I can’t say I blame her.

fair point, lacking clarity on the big issue with the RCD... And for that reason I'm out...

Not a very nice post Tony...

1. I've not had chance to open up the board and I don't have x-ray vision. I just noticed a few things when I switched the power off to do the light switch.
2. The light switch was not exactly high on the list of priorities... It worked, it was just upside down...
3. I've given as much detail as I can about the cooker/RCD issue. If I had more details at the moment, I'd give them.
4. The main issue is I fail to see how the installation could have passed the initial verification going by the state of the switch I took off this afternoon (2 lives resting, rather than being screwed into the terminals. Makes me wonder if it's been tested at all.
5. The work didn't need doing in the first place, there was a perfectly good board in place.
6. Even if the work DID need doing, I couldn't have done it anyway for several reasons (including the fact that I'm not registered...)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much more clarification you want regarding the RCD/cooker issue...

The cable is:

- buried in a wall at less than 50mm depth
- not armoured
- not in earthed conduit
- not mechanically protected

Someone please explain where in the regs it says that this is permitted without RCD protection

You don't need to disconnect and inspect every single accessory on an inspection. That's probably why the light switch wasn't picked up.
They should have labelled and stickered the board though.
Do you have a copy of there test results?

You don't need to disconnect and inspect every single accessory on an inspection. That's probably why the light switch wasn't picked up.

I'm just surprised it passed it's R1+R2 in the state it was in.

Certificates are around somewhere, not seen them myself though.

DNS1 have you had the cover of the cu? Just getting a bit confused as to what you've found regarding lack of RCD protection.

No. Not removed the cover at all (board is at the back of a cupboard and removing the cover would require emptying it's contents)

Basically there are 2 non-RCD'd circuits. One is garage (armoured) the other is the hob. The rest of the circuits are on the dual RCDs

No. Not removed the cover at all (board is at the back of a cupboard and removing the cover would require emptying it's contents)

Basically there are 2 non-RCD'd circuits. One is garage (armoured) the other is the hob. The rest of the circuits are on the dual RCDs

Now it makes sense :)

Reply to Taking action against a cowboy install... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net