Search the forum,

Discuss Taking action against a cowboy install... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to go round there and find out exactly what's what mate, take a look at any certs and get the cover off the CU just for a look. Once you find out the above come back and get some advice, it's a bit confusing as to what's happening here from your posts so let's have something concrete to go on first.
Once you get this you could always ring the installers and ask in a friendly manner at first (as if you know nowt, that's my favourite trick) then if and when you get flim flam off them you can then hit em with regs and they're on the back foot already.

You don't need to disconnect and inspect every single accessory on an inspection. That's probably why the light switch wasn't picked up.
They should have labelled and stickered the board though.
Do you have a copy of there test results?
no...first you `sample`...say 10% as a starting point..then move on....if you smell fish...or just something don`t feel right...then you up the ante....say 50%....i will always go for recent work done first in a EICR....or if theres an odd front that don`t match the others....same for other accessories......even so...you can usually get a `feeling` that something just aint right before you even get through the door.....its like a gut feeling....and usually its right...

No. Not removed the cover at all (board is at the back of a cupboard and removing the cover would require emptying it's contents)

Basically there are 2 non-RCD'd circuits. One is garage (armoured) the other is the hob. The rest of the circuits are on the dual RCDs
you mean like the beans and soup hoard?..lol...

no...first you `sample`...say 10% as a starting point..then move on....if you smell fish...or just something don`t feel right...then you up the ante....say 50%....i will always go for recent work done first in a EICR....or if theres an odd front that don`t match the others....same for other accessories......even so...you can usually get a `feeling` that something just aint right before you even get through the door.....its like a gut feeling....and usually its right...

The job was a CU change and kitchen....not a full EICR.
Reading this thread it sounds like an over reaction.....who checks every accessory in a house for a CU change and kitchen refurb?
There's far too many jumping on the 'COWBOY' bandwaggon as soon as they come across some minor issues.....most of the those crying 'COWBOY' dont know what they are talking about.

Anyone seen this months PE mag?....there's a muppet in there crying 'COWBOY' cos he's been to a job where.... (OMG)! .... there's no 'bonding' to the back boxes....(assume he means earthing link )....and no 'sheathing' over the plastered in T&E's....clearly a self appointed expert who knows sweet FA as neither is actually a requirement. In fairness the letter is about lack of certs and part P....but I get sick to death of the frequent shouts of 'COWBOY' by the self appointed electrical police who seem to base their knowledge of the 'regs' on something other than Bs 7671.

DNS1.....surely your parents would have at least consulted you...(as their offspring and an electrical expert).....before shelling out their hard earned on the advise of other electricians.........seems a bit odd if they didnt?

DNS1.....surely your parents would have at least consulted you...

Lol, you'd have thought so... But no, my family never see any good in their own kind!

Maybe I am being a bit picky about the poor connection in the switch, maybe it wouldn't be picked up by the initial tests.

The main issue for me is the lack of RCD on the hob, especially as the hob is the reason the electrics required any work at all!

Maybe not so much a "cowboy" just a rip off merchant who took advantage of the situation in order to sell and fit a new board.

The job was a CU change and kitchen....not a full EICR.
Reading this thread it sounds like an over reaction.....who checks every accessory in a house for a CU change and kitchen refurb?
There's far too many jumping on the 'COWBOY' bandwaggon as soon as they come across some minor issues.....most of the those crying 'COWBOY' dont know what they are talking about.

Anyone seen this months PE mag?....there's a muppet in there crying 'COWBOY' cos he's been to a job where.... (OMG)! .... there's no 'bonding' to the back boxes....(assume he means earthing link )....and no 'sheathing' over the plastered in T&E's....clearly a self appointed expert who knows sweet FA as neither is actually a requirement. In fairness the letter is about lack of certs and part P....but I get sick to death of the frequent shouts of 'COWBOY' by the self appointed electrical police who seem to base their knowledge of the 'regs' on something other than Bs 7671.

DNS1.....surely your parents would have at least consulted you...(as their offspring and an electrical expert).....before shelling out their hard earned on the advise of other electricians.........seems a bit odd if they didnt?
never said it was a full eicr....DID I!!

Nice suggestion,mackers. My parents are retired and we always struggle for gift ideas at Christmas and birthdays. An RCBO seems a neat,practical and worthy offering.

Nice suggestion,mackers. My parents are retired and we always struggle for gift ideas at Christmas and birthdays. An RCBO seems a neat,practical and worthy offering.
nearly as good as the guy i used to work with when in fabrications...he got his cousins son an angle grinder for his birthday....think the boy was about 7....
or theres the time that a lad called john riley who used to work at this place i was at...well, he went and bought his Mrs a vac for her birthday.....and at xmas got her a washing machine...lol....

nearly as good as the guy i used to work with when in fabrications...he got his cousins son an angle grinder for his birthday....think the boy was about 7....
or theres the time that a lad called john riley who used to work at this place i was at...well, he went and bought his Mrs a vac for her birthday.....and at xmas got her a washing machine...lol....
I bought our youngest son a jigsaw for his 3rd birthday, wife went mental when he cut one of his fingers off with it
:)

Reply to Taking action against a cowboy install... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock