Discuss Test certificates and small works testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkeylew

Hey guys, I've started my own company and i'm a little unsure on what kind of certificates i need to supply for what types of installations.
I've recently done a mains change at a property from a letting agency and carried out a few earth loop test to make sure everything was ok but didnt carry out a full periodic test because all i had done was upgrade the mains board to a 17th edition split load board. Afterwards i was asked if i had done a electrical safety certificate. Now I thought that one of these certificates was to do with a full periodic test?

My problem is that i'm unsure how much testing i need to do and what kinds of certificates i need to supply in other installations in the future?

Also i have been informed about a green sheet? A legal certificate that can be supplied by NIC but is only under your name, has anyone used these and would you use them again?

any additional information on the subject would be helpful, thank you

You should be issuing a full Electrical Installation Certificate for a change of consumer unit. You have affected each circuit so they must ALL be fully tested. i would also recommend for future reference that you carry out tests before changing the CU

Last edited:
ALWAYS test before and after a db change. You install an rcd to a faulty circuit and you will look a tw4t when u get a phonecall at 9pm to say its all tripped. Worked fine before u came and changed things!!

Hey guys, I've started my own company and i'm a little unsure on what kind of certificates i need to supply for what types of installations. This is something that it would have been a good thing to check before you started trading!
I've recently done a mains change at a property from a letting agency and carried out a few earth loop test to make sure everything was OK but didn't carry out a full periodic test because all i had done was upgrade the mains board to a 17th edition split load board. This work requires a full electrical installation certificate with schedule of insepctions and schedule of test results covering al the affected circuits and also requires notification to building control.
Afterwards i was asked if i had done a electrical safety certificate. Now I thought that one of these certificates was to do with a full periodic test?
They are confusing their terminology here with a gas safety certificate. The requirement you needed to supply was an EIC.

My problem is that i'm unsure how much testing i need to do and what kinds of certificates i need to supply in other installations in the future?
Any provision of a new circuit or change of consumer unit requires an EIC.
Any work that does not require a new circuit, i.e. it is only adding to or modifying a circuit requires a minor electrical installation works certificate.
Any modification of a circuit: in the zones of a bathroom, in a sauna room or a room containing a swimming pool and, in any location, any new circuits and any consumer unit change requires notification to building control (in England).

Also i have been informed about a green sheet? A legal certificate that can be supplied by NIC but is only under your name, has anyone used these and would you use them again?
The NICEIC sells green coloured versions of their certificates that may be used by those electricians who are not registered with the NICEIC, this is probably the items to which you are referring. There is no requirement to use these at all and the model forms from the IET can be saved and printed out for free.

any additional information on the subject would be helpful, thank you
see my comments in red above.

Reply to Test certificates and small works testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net