Discuss Testing a socket in the middle of a distribution circuit. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a socket in my loft tapped off the garage circuit which is not RCD protected. Shall I do the honourable thing and shoot myself now?
but can the socket be used to supply equipment outdoors? :(

but can the socket be used to supply equipment outdoors? :(

Hey up Tel.... he did say it's an outdoor socket ;)

SWA does not need an up front rcd. Change the socket to an rcd socket so this sub main is a continuous feed t the summer house cu OR make it a junction box and run new cable to an outside socket? Whatever is best for the location.

Hey up Tel.... he did say it's an outdoor socket ;)

SWA does not need an up front rcd. Change the socket to an rcd socket so this sub main is a continuous feed t the summer house cu OR make it a junction box and run new cable to an outside socket? Whatever is best for the location.
i was referring to Strima's attic socket.

Not sure there is a reg saying this can't be done but it brings with it loads of issues such as IP ratings, rcd/rcbos etc.. and discrimination... not sure the part p scams would be too pleased if shown it on a assessment.

Not sure there is a reg saying this can't be done but it brings with it loads of issues such as IP ratings, rcd/rcbos etc.. and discrimination... not sure the part p scams would be too pleased if shown it on a assessment.
I don't see 'loads of issues'.

Suppose you have a radial circuit on a 32A MCB supplying a properly IP rated RCD socket, then on to a board in a shed with RCD main switch. Where are the issues?

That is exactly what it was. Exactly. However, following the general consensus that it was somewhat unconventional, I have changed the socket for a junction. It's part of an application to join Elecsa.....so I want limited debate.

Thanks everyone for your input....these forums really are an incredible resource. I guess it helps you commentators keep it all fresh in your mind. Cheers Kelsall

^^^ Please for the love of God (and our entertainment) put in an RCD socket and let the assessor pull you on it..... then ask him to give you the reg numbers that it goes against??????

i was referring to Strima's attic socket.

Sorry bud, been off the forums for a while and I missed what you were on about. I'm a bit rusty

download (7).jpg

Reply to Testing a socket in the middle of a distribution circuit. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net