Discuss Testing...how far do you go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Be honest here guys...When you do your testing, do you do it exactly the same as you would during a college assessment on every installation you work on/install
I dont, and I've never known a sparky who does
Feel free to accuse me of being a cowboy but here are the things I do different...

If im IR testing an old install and I get, say 50Mohms across the main Neutral/Phase and earth bars I'll write down every circuit as >200 rather than rip the fuseboard apart trying to find the circuit/circuits with less than 200. It doesn't really acheive anything IMO and takes time..
I never IR 500volts between L and N on an existing installation if the reading to earth is good, the risk of damaging the clients property is too great IMO

If im testing a new ring circuit installed by myself I'll test end to end on all 3 conductors but won't carry out cross connected ring continuity tests. On my own circuit I know its wired as a ring so this test is completely pointless.

On my own installations, if I know the chances of parallel paths etc are zero I sometimes gain my R1+R2 reading for a radial by testing Zs at the furthest point and deducting Ze. IMO this proves beyond all doubt you have a good R2. Now I know you're supposed to prove the circuits are compliant before energizing but we're all trying to make a living here and whats the worst that can happen when you know you do good connections every time and its all RCD'd

Also when I do a consumer unit change I do not test and inspect the installation to the same extent as I would an EICR. I just test ring end to end, IR L/N-E, RCD time, Ze and Zs at the end of each circuit-The going rate for C/U's (ÂŁ350) does not really allow for a whole day of testing and inspection and the house is gonna be 10 times safer than before I turned up anyway.

Hopefully this should arouse some fiery debate
Seems a bit of a case of common sense vs blindly following the rules you've been given without questioning the neccessity....

Oh and safe isolation...I wrap the live core round me volt stick and keep turning of breakers till the beeping stops.
I also work live from time to time

sorry my friend but the way u sound some1 will end up in hospital,
Yeah maybe me but I'm cool with that, I like to live life on the edge....nothing beats the adrenaline rush of changing a lightswitch faceplate live....
On a serious note please describe to me a realistic situation in which anything I've described would lead to someone (other than me) ending up in hospital....

Why would you have to start ripping circuits apart if you had 50M ohms when Ins Res testing at the CU?

Makes it sound like you ain't much of a clue about what you're on about.

You just said i do not do the full test,to me i think its wrong accident can happene later, after you leave the house when dave the builder come back home to have a shower..... then you said you make up the reading from 50ohms to 200 ohms.my q to you why not do the full test and put the true reading

My advise to anyone thinking of working live is dont do it,especially if its not necessary

Its a shame I dont follow that advise :blush5:
I would be scared witless by someone who never works live actually doing so

Historically,electricians work has always had working live as part and parcel of the job,it is such a big no no,because of the H+S culture that is now so much more evident than years gone by

I have the highest respect for the danger of electric shock, but it doesn't frighten me one little bit,

If you get a reading of 50Mohms when doing the global IR test then why not write 50Mohms in the box on the sheet? Its a pass! falsifying figures as you are is (a) wrong and (b) completely pointless in the circumstances above!

I go all the way baby, or as far a practicably possible. No point carrying out an EICR or initial verification if you only do half a job.

Personally I think your just trolling the forum for a response...

Dave 85 , i knew you would get a right good flaming for your honesty lol.

Working live ? occasionally if needs must - most old skool sparks wont flinch at doing it if they have to , younger sparks have been brought up in a elf & safety bubble where even craft-knives are banned at college so are unlikely to try it.

As for testing , i tailor / adjust my inspection proceedure according to each job using methods that work for me - couldnt care less how others may do things to be honest.

Keep riding that mule Dave and i'll see you in the saloon - mines a whisky.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a reading of 50Mohms when doing the global IR test then why not write 50Mohms in the box on the sheet? Its a pass! falsifying figures as you are is (a) wrong and (b) completely pointless in the circumstances above!
Surely if I put a reading of 50Mohms for every circuit I am falsifying the figures? Either way I dont really see what difference it makes, the fact is, the IR is massively higher than the minimum requirement and theres a good chance, that the 50Mohms is spread across several circuits all of which would show >200 or very close, tested individually. Now If I got a gobal reading of 2M ohms, obviously I'd track it down to the individual circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
Biff,be warned when I'm at the bus Bar I always keep one hand in my pocket,(if you know what I mean,) :yes: I guarantee these newer types wouldn't understand the inuendo :grin:

Reply to Testing...how far do you go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net