Discuss Testing music decks? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andrew692003

Someone as just given me 2 music decks to test. They are 240v with a 13amp plug top with just a 2 core flex connecting them to the mains. The flex is not double insulated and the appliance has no class 2 label anywhere even though the decks are made of metal.

There is a single core fly lead, probably about arount 0.5mm that is attached somewhere inside but is just hanging about a meter long outside. If I put my meter between this end and the deck(metal) I get around 0.1 ohms so it must be an earth of some sort.

Not sure how to proceed with this other than failing it. The decks are relatively new and have definently not been altered(as in they've come from the factory like that).

Any ideas? Someone thought the fly lead was meant to get attached to the amp but I'm not sure. Possibly has something to do with interferance and needing a clean earth but I'm stuck with this one.

Thanks for the time guys!

Cheers

When i say what test, i mean are they not working or are you want to pat test or what, The earth is as you say to connect to the amp to eliminate mains hum.

Sorry, yes they want them PAT tested, possibly insurance, not sure. Its a Technics set SL-1210MKZ, they do function so no problems there but I just thought I'd ask the question.

Cheers

Fly lead connects to the dj mixer. No need to worry about it when you PAT it. Have a good check of the deck as the Mk II I have test are all double insulated.

The fly-lead is a functional earth to connect turntable to mixer preamp ground to minimise mains hum, wow and flutter. This will not be part of your PAT test routine. Early decks are usually Class 1, later decks Class 2.

stick some le zeppelin on them, loud. if it sounds good, they're OK. LOL.

Reply to Testing music decks? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net