Discuss The consumer Units for flats in communal area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My daughter has ground floor flat, there are four flats on each floor. The consumer Units for each flat are located just outside each flat in the communal hall way, Is this against the Regulations?

In a word no

my first house had its consumer unit in the bin store outside

you literally had to go outside to reset a breaker

This is a block of flats.... theyre not going outside in the elements to reset a breaker.... just walking out the front door into the communal area.
No worse than crawling about under a staircase.

Not checked whether its against any actual regs though.

It may not be ...but it should be.
No way should anyone be able to isolate someone else's power without entering the premises, unless it's fed from a locked 'switch room'.
Thinking, it may be illegal and nothing to do with Regs.

Last edited:
No way should anyone be able to isolate someone else's power without entering the premises, unless it's fed from a locked 'switch room'.

Plastic meter cupboard outside a house ? Anyone could walk up and pull the main fuse or switch off the main isolater switch

Plastic meter cupboard outside a house ? Anyone could walk up and pull the main fuse or switch off the main isolater switch
The Main fuse should be sealed, as if locked. As regards Isolator in outside cupboard, bad idea. I know there are plenty done like this but it's silly. They should be inside local to CU.

Every single Dno installed main isolater switch that I have seen is installed in the outdoors meter cupboard

That's fair enough but should it be like that if anyone could isolate it with people inside? Is it got away with because the boxes are 'key locked' and deemed safe?....for what it's worth. There seem plenty with the doors hanging, or ripped, off. It's wrong, for me.

I know in many countries the main isolation point is external to the property so that in the event of a fire the fire brigade can kill all the power to the premises prior to entry

makes sense really I guess

Easily accessible to the general public, though?
Is it not open to crime? Just don't agree with it, mate.

Not sure about being illegal as this was installed when the flats were built in the 80's and every flat in the block is in the same situation. As far as im aware the regs say it needs to be accessible, which it is, however I need to know whether it funky complies with the 18th edition of the regs, if not on what grounds?

It is not prohibited or discouraged by the regs, not only is it acceptable by them, but there are strong arguments for it to be good practice (remote switch off in the case of a fire/gas leak - similar to fireman's switch; access in the event of a trip is likely to be fully illuminated - no scrabbling around with/without a torch etc).

It may/may not be liked, but.....

It is not prohibited or discouraged by the regs, not only is it acceptable by them, but there are strong arguments for it to be good practice (remote switch off in the case of a fire/gas leak - similar to fireman's switch; access in the event of a trip is likely to be fully illuminated - no scrabbling around with/without a torch etc).

It may/may not be liked, but.....
Thanks

Reply to The consumer Units for flats in communal area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net