Discuss The drawbacks of been a sparks! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Was once changing a camera power supply in the comms room of a BMW dealership.

Suddenly the breaker decided to trip on a different socket circuit feeding all vital IT equipment in the comms room and pretty much bringing the whole dealership to a stand still.

The workers there should get a job in Guantanamo Bay after the interrogation I was subjected to!

Some years ago, working as an agency spark for a large electrical contracting company on a certain northern airport during a major expansion program, it was necessary to divert all the telemetry cabling between two H.V. substations on part of a H.V. ring as they were laid in ducts crossing an area wanted for development. A couple of new 50 pair cables had been installed skirting the development area and terminated into large J.B.s at either end waiting for the big day of cutting the existing cables glanding them and terminating into the appropriate terminals in the J.B.s. The final changeover was delayed while the airport management hummed and hared over the implications of any problems but eventually reluctantly gave the go ahead for the changeover. After cutting the existing cables and glanding them into the J.B.s, there I was sitting on a box contentedly laid back listening to my favourite radio station, separating out the pairs laying them into finger trunking numbering crimping ferules and connecting into the terminals double checking making sure everything was correct, when suddenly blam, blam, blam, all the air breakers on the H.V. isolators blew out the sub went into darkness and the emergency lighting came on. Next thing the some airport manager came running in to the sub, "what the !***! have you done, you !!!! !!!! you've stopped the whole airport". I was laid off and sent home, it was a couple of hours later listening to the local news I found out a digger driver for the ground workers had had a lucky escape nearly blowing the bucket off his JCB when he'd dug up and damaged one of the H.V. cables in another part of the airport. But poor old sparky had got the blame for it originally without any second thought apologies or reinstatement.

Was once changing a camera power supply in the comms room of a BMW dealership.

Suddenly the breaker decided to trip on a different socket circuit ......

I'm sure customers think we are like Tesco
_BOGOF_ .. Pay for 1 simple job & shame / guilt trip you .. into doing another intermittent for free !
(That some-one else fobbed them off with )
...Must be on one of those money saving tips sites , somewhere !..

Then there are the times when we are to blame. I know a guy who shut down half a city while working at a sub, another guy shut down a power station and I managed a full site fire evacuation at a power station during an outage. Obviously I owned up in front of a couple of hundred hairy arsed contractors - not! :rolleyes:

I managed to mix up a couple of control cables for some valves in a chocolate factory.
When they tried to pump a mixture from a mixing machine to a storage tank, the pump started up, but the valve to the next set up along opened.
Eventually the pump exploded.
Replacement pump and loss of production was apparently £15,000.

Have we finally lost ALL sense of dignity?
There was a time when having a cuppa and discussing issues with people that can help was good enough, if not we went looking for someone that can help.

Nowadays, to make our point, we just simply ---- Human excrement around...
nono.gif

I forget which power station it was in now as my father has worked at a few, but he once told me how one of his colleagues did something that took out one of the transformers causing hundreds of thousands worth of damage not to mention whatever the cost of downtime was while the transformer was being replaced.

Reply to The drawbacks of been a sparks! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net