Discuss The last post on this farm business!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I will soon be connecting up a few LED spot lights and making safe the existing wiring at a domestic stables (have started a few threads on this now!). The chap is happy with my quote and I have done as suggested and researched gate opening devices and companies offering this service and added on a very modest finders fee.... however there is one aspect of the job that I have completely passed on and told the guy I just cant do it.

I thought it sounded straight forward enough but after looking into it I realised it was far from straightforward.

The job is to fit an additional LED flood that floods the entire 70meters from entrance gate to the field to the stables.

Looks like it needs to be at least 6.5-8 meters tall and made of ?? Wood is very heavy?? Any metal structures??

I have passed on this job and I wont be doing it, but its nawing away at me about how you would actually do it, mainly the structure, but also maintenance and other aspects of working at height? Probably spending too much time thinking about it as I have loads of other jobs, but I'm just interested..

I would imagine a street light type affair would be the easiest mounting method,although I have mounted a few of these offshore and their not actually that heavy,bright light but not a REALLY good length of beam on it.
As for working at height etc its a huge can of worms,risk assessments,insurance issues and so on offshore and in most factories I've worked but in the domestic/commercial field I'm not so sure.
if accessible I'd use a cherry picker or a MEWP (mobile elevating work platform) which you can hire out or often get on the back of Iveco vans,save hours of hassle with scaffolding etc.

Mid hinged metal poles from the likes of kingfisher are the way forward. No working at height just lower the pole with rope. And you even have space for a cutout inside

Reply to The last post on this farm business!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net