Discuss Third party signatures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I've always been adamant not to sign anybody else's work off. However I have somebody not Part P registered harassing me. (he's a mate).

He's also a spark and has just been laid off and doing foreigners at will. However he's come unstuck with customers are asking him for the certs.

He's asked me to just do him a EICR. I'm happy to do a condition report. But it still won't be notified to BC. So what's the use in an EICR and what liability does that leave with me should the installation cause fire etc. obviously I can't rip floor boards up etc.

Should I even bother doing a condition report at all?

I got asked today if i was "part p" and if i could sign off an extension that had been built and wired by someone else so i asked why they didn't sign it off? The answer was because he doesn't want to pay the expensive fee's and that any spark could give a certificate on it for a few quid!! So my reply was of course i can for £500, i didn't get the job but i wouldn't really want to sign off some oik's work that can't be bothered to do things properly to start with!

I only do EICR's for unregistered guys and I was told to do so by my LABC!, there are aware and happy that such contractors are wiring domestically and are more than happy to accept an EICR from a registered and 2391'd spark who can use his judgment to say satisfactory or not, obviously the certs are quite full of the word LIM !!

If your mate cannot be ar$ed to sign off his work then why should he be to do his job right ? in other words learn to say no and if he says well we aint mates anymore then reply by saying well if I have to be you mate to wipe your ar$e then why should I or you bother

If your mate cannot be ar$ed to sign off his work then why should he be to do his job right ? in other words learn to say no and if he says well we aint mates anymore then reply by saying well if I have to be you mate to wipe your ar$e then why should I or you bother
like `friends`...but only in his terms....lol...

I only do EICR's for unregistered guys and I was told to do so by my LABC!, there are aware and happy that such contractors are wiring domestically and are more than happy to accept an EICR from a registered and 2391'd spark who can use his judgment to say satisfactory or not, obviously the certs are quite full of the word LIM !!

You gotta be mad.

Do you check the work at various stages? If not how do you know what is behind plaster, floors etc?

If someone gets killed or the property goes up in flames it'll be you in court mate not the bloke who wired it. His signature isn't on anything.

It's people like you who help to keep our prices lower than they should be. If you didn't do it then people would have to pay the proper rate for a registered and qualified sparks.

Wake up and smell the coffee. You better do it soon because none of us will be able to afford coffee if you and your like keep doing that!

I'm not sure how it goes with a EICR though. I'm only signing off inspection and testing. Not Design or construction. It's not being notified to the building control through me. All I'm saying is: it tested ok. From what I can see its been designed and constructed properly. However LIM. I can't see under plaster, floorboards etc.

I don't understand how the LABC will accept a condition report when it needs to be an installation report. Someone needs to put their name to the design and construction. With a EICR I'm not doing that

Mark no mate not mad at all, it's just an EICR like any other I put my signature on, just that it's brand new as oppose to existing, I'm not issuing building regs compliance or signing off the work as mine, just reporting weather it's satisfactory or not, just like any other

They will accept an EICR because thats how it works they know its not being installed by a competent person and will never get a EIC so they ask for an EICR because at least its getting checked why because Part P is a mess but they will not admit it just think all the schemies going out of business mmmmmm

So the council will accept an EICR even though nobody has indicated whether it is designed or constructed properly. Wat the jells the point of an EIC then. It's all messed up.

Totally and utterly agree , I don't do lots of them, done it maybe 5 times in 3 years. All I'm doing is my job, in asked by a client who has been asked by the LABC to report on an existing installation, 3 months old or 30 years the certs don't discriminate

Totally and utterly agree , I don't do lots of them, done it maybe 5 times in 3 years. All I'm doing is my job, in asked by a client who has been asked by the LABC to report on an existing installation, 3 months old or 30 years the certs don't discriminate

Do the LABC actually know the difference between an EIC and EICR then?

I'm happy to do an EICR on any install. Because all I'm doing is reporting on its condition through my meter results and what I can see. The condition report doesn't indicate what lies under plaster, in voids, under floorboards.

Reply to Third party signatures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net