Discuss Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had a job recently where myself and an apprentice had to gland and terminate a 50mm SWA cable in a panel. I put the locknut in a vice and filed V shaped notches in the 6 leading edges. The apprentice was curious as to what I was doing. As we installed it, I got my trusty old screwdriver out and hammered the locknut tight as my assistant held the gland with his stillies. On completion, he said that it was dog rough, but so difficult to tighten with gland nut pliers. I would be interested to now what others think.

Rough as hell in my opinion, I've never found it necessary to hammer a nut tight. Sometimes when undoing a nut or lock ring a few taps are necessary to break it free, but not suitable for tightening.

If you can't tighten it properly with the tools you have then maybe it's time to invest in better tools.

A hammer is for hammering nails and a screwdriver is for screwing screws.
Neither should be needed to do up a locking ring nut, that is what a spanner or grips are for...

Come On Yes GIF by The Democrats

Gland nuts are a pain as they are rarely a "standard" spanner size anyway, as well as being larger than most folks spanner sets (unless they work on trains, tractors, etc).

So you almost certainly need either one of the very wide jaw adjustable spanners (often sold for plumbing work) or a slip-joint style of pipe wrench to get a proper grip.

This sort of idea:

Gland locknuts tend to be thinner than a regular nut for getting a standard pair of adjustables on them. But you have to persevere.

Tightening with a screwdriver is going to make removal in the future damn near impossible…. Even using the same method!

The biggest problem I find is the L shaped lip on the edge of enclosure to give them strength. This means getting square on to a wafer thin locknut is virtually impossible unless using a cranked spanner or socket if the cable isn't already in the gland. I prefer a spanner or adjustable spanner if possible and slip joint pliers or grips if a spanner isn't working.
I have some Teng adjustable spanners that have slim jaws that are slightly angled that are perfect for locknuts.
Also had some luck with serrated washers under the locknut and tighten from below with a finger on the locknut as you start!

Yes I am guilty of using a cold chisel and small hammer or linesman pliers to tighten up locknuts in the past!
Would I do it now, mmm probably in a pinch yeah, sometimes you just have to work with what you have!
If it's a crowded DB with just enough room in the gland plate for one more, but not enough room to swing a spanner what you going to do?!

Earthing nuts have teeth which grip the panel and allow you to tighten the gland into them without needing to get tools onto the nut.

Or if you do need to spid the nut onto the gland you can flip the earthing nut over so the smooth side is against the enclosure and are also much thicker than a locknut so much easier to get a grip of.

You still need to room to turn those spanners a small distance.
That's why I use a ring spanner they are capable of multiple position fitting onto the nut and turning a small distance serration by serration unlike an open ended spanner, or use a Wera Joker combination ratchet spanner, 30deg turn should be capable enough.

You should try working on a marshalling kiosk on a large transformer. On some of them there's no wa to get a spanner of any kind in. The designers had no thoughts on maintenance :-(

I wonder if glands should be held in place with a grub scew system and as long as the installer makes sure the screw is facing towards you it would be a 10 second job to release the screw and pop off the gland ?

Reply to Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net