Discuss Toilet facilities on the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maybe construction companies have taken to hiding building supplies in tower cranes. It's not the sort of place people would look when deciding to help themselves to bricks for their new barbeque.

It seems by the odd reply on here that some people are happy to pee in a grid or dump into a bucket. Can I put it this way, building work isn't cheap for the homeowner, you regularly read posts about customers complaining that a price was £50k or more than they thought, builders don't do stuff on the cheap, they certainly aren't doing the job for buttons. Asking for a toilet isn't a challenging thing to do for them either, they just pick up the phone and one is dropped off a couple of hours later, it takes 5 minutes of their time, they could even delegate if they feel more important. toilets are £28 a week, they could even leave the old one in or get the plumber to put a temporary one in, not too dificult to arrange either.

So at the end of the day, they expect me to ---- in a bucket so they can save £28 a week on a £100k job. Would you really do that for them?

From the link you've provided it appears as though it applies to contractors and commercial clients organising work in a domestic premises. It may be the case that householders are now expected to conform to CDM regulations, but nowhere on the page is that made apparent.

Edit: The page linked below relates to domestic clients and doesn't appear to pass the responsibilities to those clients as you have suggested.

Reading that page again, I can see an argument for the client taking responsibility if they choose not to appoint a contractor or other agent who would act as the designer, but this is not expressly stated. It would also be rare for a somestic client to not appoint someone to this role where fairly major works are undertaken and I'm not sure that a new kitchen or other small scale work falls under these regulations.

That sets out requirements for commercial clients and contractors.

Householders are not, generally, commercial clients and so those rules do not apply to them.

There is separate guidance, linked above, for domestic customers explaining that the client responsibilities pass to the principal contractor on domestic work

Most householders have an office facility in the home and would therefore be classed as a commercial client for the purposes of the Regulations, especially if they are claiming tax benefits for using part of the home as an office.

Only if a Principal Contractor has been appointed by the Client would the requirement for the welfare facilities pass to them, if not the responsibility for the welfare facilities remains with the Client, commercial or domestic.

Last edited:
Only if a Principal Contractor has been appointed by the Client, if so the requirement for the welfare facilities passes to them, if not the responsibility for the welfare facilities remains with the Client.

The regulations don't make this clear and any such inference is assumed.

I've posted the relevant link above

A domestic client is any individual who has construction work carried out on their home, or the home of a family member, that is not done as part of any business. While CDM 2015 places client duties on commercial clients in full, such duties for domestic clients normally pass to:

• the contractor, if it is a single contractor project, who must take on the legal duties of the client in addition to their own as contractor. In practice, this should involve little more than what they normally do in managing health and safety risks
  • the principal contractor, for projects with more than one contractor, who must take on the legal duties of the client in addition to their own as principal contractor. If the domestic client has not appointed a principal contractor, the client duties must be carried out by the contractor in control of the construction work
If a domestic client has appointed an architect (or other designer) on a project involving more than one contractor, they can ask them to manage the project and take on the client duties instead of the principal contractor. The designer then takes on the responsibilities of principal designer and must have a written agreement with the domestic client, confirming they have agreed (as principal designer) to take on the client duties as well as their own responsibilities.

Any designer in charge of coordinating and managing a project is assumed to be the principal designer. However, if they do not have a written agreement with the domestic client to confirm they are taking on the client duties, those duties automatically pass to the principal contractor.

Reply to Toilet facilities on the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net