Search the forum,

Discuss Too late for building control? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Where do you live Robsparx? Someone on here may be able to help you out. Also, phone ELECSA and let them know the the situation, you never know, someone may have to postpone their site assessment prior to yours so you could ask them to put you on a standby list.

Where do you live Robsparx? Someone on here may be able to help you out. Also, phone ELECSA and let them know the the situation, you never know, someone may have to postpone their site assessment prior to yours so you could ask them to put you on a standby list.

The post is two years old
Robsparx last logged in 28-04-2011

This is an interesting thread to me too, as I will be in this boat too - doing the work myself in my own house, using it for ELECSA assessment, so I will report what happened to me (I'm under Adur District Council). I'm also interested to know when LABCs would need to be paid - up front or once it's complete, or if it varies.

Edit: I welcome the membership of a LABC employee - nice to have words from both sides of the fence, so to speak.

I done a consumer unit change last year,prior to enrolling with elecsa,so had to pay labc £65 prior to job commencement,had to show them copies of all my certs,9 months went by and they didnt even bother to go and check anything,not that it matters to me,why did they take money for nothing?are the govt thinking about a change of part p.

This is an interesting thread to me too, as I will be in this boat too - doing the work myself in my own house, using it for ELECSA assessment, so I will report what happened to me (I'm under Adur District Council). I'm also interested to know when LABCs would need to be paid - up front or once it's complete, or if it varies.

Edit: I welcome the membership of a LABC employee - nice to have words from both sides of the fence, so to speak.

You don't need to pay your LABC anything. You've notified them that work is taking place. You can notify the work when you pass your assessment (even if you don't pass first time).

You have an on site assessment to enable you to join a registration scheme. If the person assessing you deems you competent to self certify then you have "passed" that assessment, if they don't, then you have "failed" it or have I misunderstood something?

Most "fails" arent really fails.

They are non conformances and they will require proof that these have been rectified before they issue you with your membership details.

Unless of course someone is really out of touch, and in which case it will be a fail and a re-assessment will need to be booked.

I seem to remember someone posting that they had to have a re-assesment and pay the fee as they did not provide RCD protection for an extra kitchen spur.
Will see if I can find - but don't hold your breath.
Regards, Dave

I would hazard a wild but calculated guess here, ...and say that those that fail are very Few and far between....

I would hazard a wild but calculated guess here, ...and say that those that fail are very Few and far between....

I had a phone call from a friend of a friend a couple of years ago who wanted me to sign off a re wire for them as they had not met the required standard of the NICEIC inspector and asked her to try again in a few months. I did a PIR for her. Let's just say, I was in full agreement with the assessor that she shouldn't have been signed off.

She is the one and only that I know of but lets face it, if you flunked, you wouldn't go shouting it from the roof tops would you.

I have the figures from an ex-assessor that 'spilled the beans' his tales were very worrying, applicants that he clearly failed for non compliant work were getting his decisions overturned by 'head office' amongst other things....

I have the figures from an ex-assessor that 'spilled the beans' his tales were very worrying, applicants that he clearly failed for non compliant work were getting his decisions overturned by 'head office' amongst other things....
What! That's shocking isn't it. All for the money then?

What! That's shocking isn't it. All for the money then?

There was a lot more than that, the assessor had been sacked for being 'over-zealous' following a miniscule percentage of complaints from failed assessments.

I know there's 2 sides to every story but I've seen copies of the correspondance between him and 'head office' that convince me that he was just doing the job as he should have been doing it, rather than a lenient 'lets have lots of members, to hell with the quality' attitude.

I am intrigued by this thread - old I know but the content remains relevent. Nobody pointed out that a criminal offence was committed in the first instance. It is interesting as a building control surveyor to see that the general advice was around covering up the situation not addressing it. Advising the installer to wait until he is accepted by his competent persons scheme is no answer as the work was carried out before qualification i.e. outside the scope of any competent persons scheme. A false declaration would have to be made to certify the work making any CP certification invalid.

The best advice would be to approach the local authority building control ask for a 'Regularisation', pay your fee and have the work inspected and signed off. In my office that process would take about three days start to finish. If we caught someone falsifying inspection records we would prosecute and the courts are very unfiendly to electricians caught cheating.

Now this post as both surprised and shocked me
This is the first occasion, in my experience, that an Labc person has first of all been aware of the requirements of the failed building regulation part p, and secondly, the only Labc person, since its flawed and crazy inception, that has demonstrated any interest whatsoever in its enforcement

I dont know what the actual situation is and has been in England,but I can assure him 100% that in Wales it is routinely ignored,unknown and best of all not wanted by anyone who happens, by chance, to be aware of its non enforced existence

To say that someone is breaking the law,that had me in stitches of cycical laughter,there is a world out there that is reality,it does not include building regulation unenforced nonesense

You don't need to pay your LABC anything. You've notified them that work is taking place. You can notify the work when you pass your assessment (even if you don't pass first time).

Sorry but if you are not a member of a CP scheme you must apply to a building control body and pay the requisite fee. If your local authority shows a lack of interest, which I am aware some do, then they are being negligent.

For Robsparky - did you actually cal out the LA to carry out inspections, the procedure is normally that you make an application, the LA acknowledges the application then awaits your call for an inspection at first fix are before if you wish to discuss any item. Payment is up front for a Building Notice or 25% first and the rest after the first inspection for Full Plans applications

Part P is being reviewed and it will not be long before the planned changes are out for consultation, hopefully it will be better organised than the original launch

Reply to Too late for building control? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back