Discuss Top floor lighting gone - fuse replaced, still no action. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

As per...the top floor lighting is all gone - i've tested and changed fuses on every part of the box and I cannot get the lights back on.

Bulbs changed for ones I know 'work' too.

What has happened?

(if wrong forum sorry)

If you can, talk us through right up to the event, what we're you doing, what was running, what you consumer unit set up (rewirable fuses, cartridge fuses, MCBs etc), any recent DIYY (including putting up pictures), this should help give us a better picture and enable us to help you further.

The default response is likely to be get an electrician in, based purely on the fact there may be diagnostics that need to be checked to rule out a fault with that Installation.

Hi,

I was replacing a light fixture and i've probably put the (old school) red wire into the neutral. This light fixture was crazy as has four 'spare' red wires - three were wrapped into each over. i've been into the loft and seen another 'red' wire as a fourth.

Attachments

• 20200617_141303.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 35
Hi,

I was replacing a light fixture and i've probably put the (old school) red wire into the neutral. This light fixture was crazy as has four 'spare' red wires - three were wrapped into each over. i've been into the loft and seen another 'red' wire as a fourth.
This sounds like a very common configuration for UK lighting wiring, and your problem comes up on here often. The cables are feed in, feed to next light, and connection to switch.
You have probably mixed them up.
Is one of the cables marked in any way?

does look a bit like it. the doggy side of my brain says "Ruff"

yeah this is an inherited property and i want a re-wire but i loosened the 'three' wires and that seems to be the problem. the three reds.

i don't care about this room but the rest of upstairs :D

Last edited:
What do you mean you lost the three wires.

He says 'loosed' which I'm taking for 'loosened' or 'has now removed them from the fitting'... I could be wrong.

If the pic he posted in post #3 is as they were originally grouped in the original light then there should still be a In & Out feed, so the other light should work.

You have all the lights working now?
What did you do?
I had no concept that those 'three' red wires must be looped touching each other all the time, i prised a bit away to fit it in the rose fixture, it won't fit as is. nightmare, naïve of me but i've learnt something...i started the day replacing the kitchen fixture but the connections are modern so simple, this is horrid

It's a bit of a cultural thing. The wiring you have is a standard "British" arrangement, used from around 1960 until fairly recently.
Most decorative light fittings are made for "European" wiring, where it's unusual to have any more than one cable going to a fitting.
Most electricians in this country seem to have moved towards this single cable to the fitting now, with the loop in and out often moved to the switch instead.
Now that you've fitted the new light, no wires must be left just twisted together.

Reply to Top floor lighting gone - fuse replaced, still no action. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net