Discuss Triple Core Extractor Fan Capacitor HELP !! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Al2783

Hi to all. I'm trying to fit a vent axia extractor fan in my bathroom. I have wired the fan via a 2 pole switch and a 3amp fuse.

In short the circit runs : Bathroom Light = 3 amp Spur = 2 Pole Switch = Fan. For peace of mind no cables or switches are inside bathroom, switch is in adjoing bedroom, wiring in loft.

I'm a little baffled at the fan end. The fan has 4 terminals E L1 N L2. I stripped the triple core cable ready but when I removed the lid on the fans terminal box I found a capacitor wired in 2 of the terminals.

Does this capacitor connect via both 'Live' cables or 1 live and one neutral. The capacitor was already wired into the live and switch live terminals of the block. I have already connected the earth and neutral but I'm stuck on the live cables. With the capasitor being where it is means I would have to push either my live or switch live cable into a block that already has a capacitor cable sitting in it ( see white cable pic 2 ). Is that normal / correct ???

Any help would be really appreciated as I have been looking at wiring diagrams for hours with no luck.

I have taken a few pics of the terminal block.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'll send bazaab over to help.

- - - Updated - - -

i'll send bazaab over to help.:joker:

think once you have 6 posts, you can upload a photo. what's the model no.of the fan?

This is the terminal Block, white cables from capasitor bridge from live and switch live.

IMG-20140222-00308.jpg

Pretend the capacitor isn't there, just wire the supply where it's marked L, N & E on the connector block.

Firstly, nice picture ! However I cant wire it like that, I am using 3 core cable ( 3 cores and earth ). Live and switch live.

perm L to L1, s/L to L2. if it don't work, swap them round. surely the instructions will say ( ignoring the capacitor ).

perm L to L1, s/L to L2. if it don't work, swap them round. surely the instructions will say ( ignoring the capacitor ).

I fully agree. That was my first instinct, and probably what I am going to do. I just didn't want one of kids saying '' dad.... I can smell fire ''... Know what I mean ?

But you are correct, that should work. Just thought I would try the forums and see if any of the pros had seen this before.

I don't see any place to connect L2 on the connector you've shown.... it only has L, N & E marked. Can you put up another picture that show where the two capacitor wires go please.

This picture gives a clearer look at the terminals. First block is earth. Second is live or perminant live, plus one capasitor cable. Third is neutral. Fourth block has other capasitor cable and is avalible for switch live ( I think, thats where I get a little unsure ).

Thurrock-20140222-00311.jpg

Thanks. It's wired in CSR configuration so whatever you do don't connect L or N to the fourth terminal, leave it as is. If you do connect a supply to that terminal either you'll blow the capacitor to smithereens or you'll damage the windings (or both).

If you want the fan on a timer you'll need to wire the timer in separately, this fan as it is now is just straight on/off with a standard L, N & E supply.

I know the pic aint perfect, But this is what I have in front of me. You can see the capasitor goes across from L ( black cable going into Fan motor )to the far right terminal ( brown cable going into fan motor ).

Capasitor.png

as marvo just said. just wire switched L, N and E. leave terminal 4 alone.

Marvo, this was the wiring diagram I was following. Is this not correct ?

shower_fan_wiring-HARMONISED.jpg

I know the pic aint perfect, But this is what I have in front of me. You can see the capasitor goes across from L ( black cable going into Fan motor )to the far right terminal ( brown cable going into fan motor ).

View attachment 23209

Yep. The blue wire going into the motor is common and the brown and black are the start and run windings. As per my previous post don't connect anything to the 4th terminal, switched live goes into the terminal marked 'L'. As the fan currently has no timer your permanent live will be redundant until you install one in future so just make it safe out of the way in a wago block or something similar.

that's OK but you must lose the perm L. do not take it to the fan. if you want the fan to run on i'd suggest using an occupancy sensor set for 15 minutes rather than feed from the light.

So can i lose the 2 pole isolator and wire the fan like an ordinary ceiling rose / light switch config from the exsisting lighting circit?

Reply to Triple Core Extractor Fan Capacitor HELP !! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net