Currently reading:
trouble with newly installed MK c/u

Discuss trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jenions

recently changed an old fuseboard to a new MK consumer unit with 2rcbo's and then RCD with 5 mcb's on it, now i IR all the circuits and all came out at <299Mohm but since day 1 the rcd has tripped whenever a high load is switched on? i tried the up and down ring and the fridge radial on 1 of the rcbo's (40A) and they worked fine but if i put them back on the rcd side they trip. anybody got any ideas? also the test button on the rcd isnt working, now this is the 2nd rcd ive tried as i changed the 1st 1 just incase that was faulty.

have several times found where customer has replaced a socket face and has reversed N/E. as soon as a load is applied, the RCD will trip.

it may sound obvious but make sure the neutrals for the circuits connected to the RCD are indeed connected to the RCD it sounds as if a neutral is in the wrong place in the CU.
Test button should work if L and N are connected correctly check polarity at the incoming main switch on the CU. If LN ok and test button not working take it back and exchange RCD as faulty.
What type of earthing system is it?
What was the Ze ?
Did you carry out a full PIR and schedule of tests before changing the CU?

no rcd before hand jus old wylex fuse board, got a borrowed neutral but sorted that at the moment by putting them in same rcbo till i can run a new cable. i tried numerous high loads such as tv, fridge, 3kw heater even me sds drill but all tripped it. i got a low ze cant remember reading i wrote it down and its with all me gear on a job, its just thrown me as this is the second rcd ive tried which makes me think its something on the installation.

When you carried out IR test I assume all loads were disconnected. It seems that there may be a leakage problems on the loads rather than fixed wiring, the old CU would not detect earth leakage on loads. PAT testing of the appliances that trip the RCD might help. If you cannot isolate one load as the cause it may be a cumulative effect IE 15mA leakage on more than one load.

Assuming that the RCD is OK, there's something wrong with the way the CU is wired if the test button isn't working (pressing it introduces a neutral -> earth fault at the RCD). That's what I'd be fixing before looking elsewhere. Check through all of the CU cabling connections (particularly the neutral and earth).

I assume that the IR readings where >299M Ohms ;)

"the test button isn't working (pressing it introduces a neutral -> earth fault at the RCD)."

Are you sure about that?
I always thought it was a purely mechanical test.
Alan.

Here's a little quote from the MK datasheet:

Where connection of a neutral supply is not
possible, then an alternative method of
ensuring that the test button is operational is
to fit a suitable power resistor (rating 4W)
between the load side neutral pole and a
phase pole not associated with the normal
test button operation

you could have a fault in a socket or an intermitant N to E fault it could be on any circuit not just the heavy load circuit as all the N's and E's are joined together on there bus bars they are common so although on low loads it doesnt trip on the higher it could increase the loading around the fault although just a tad but enough causing the RCD to trip ,oh and watch the main switches they have a habit of flipping on

The test button does NOT introduce a L - E fault on an RCD
The test button is connected to the Line conductor on the load side of the RCD this is connected via an internal resistor to the feed neutral. Pressing the test button allows current to pass through the RCD in the line conductor through the test resistor and back to neutral on the feed side so the RCD sees a difference in line and neutral current inside the RCD and trips out. If the test button is not working check supply polarity is correct L-N if yes Take the RCD out and change it again ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock