Discuss trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

im sorry also Tony,

had a rcd that wouldnt trip, swapped for another exactly the same, swapped for the rcd in other bank which worked on one side but not the other.
removed all neutrals and it tested fine, replaced one at time until it stopped working when an old heating supply that had been fused down to supply an outside light caused the rcd not to trip and zs tests to fail, repaired the cable and then all tests came back fine.

But obviously I AM WRONG and as you say it was the rcd, next time ill leave it and tell customer the cu will only accept one rcd as all the rest in the world are broken................

and as a wise man once said and im inclined to agree with

I’m sorry but for professional electricians some of you should sign yourselves as “Hop-a-long Cassidy”. You condemn cowboys, but then give advice that is so off target it’s a wonder you’ve got two feet left!

Last edited by a moderator:
im sorry also Tony,

had a rcd that wouldnt trip, swapped for another exactly the same, swapped for the rcd in other bank which worked on one side but not the other.
removed all neutrals and it tested fine, replaced one at time until it stopped working when an old heating supply that had been fused down to supply an outside light caused the rcd not to trip and zs tests to fail, repaired the cable and then all tests came back fine.

But obviously I AM WRONG and as you say it was the rcd, next time ill leave it and tell customer the cu will only accept one rcd as all the rest in the world are broken................

and as a wise man once said and im inclined to agree with

Ok try that and if that don't work I'd go with the wiring beforehand haha

Maybe try the rcd connected with none of the mcb's connected? ( can't remember if this has been tried and am not re-reading all the posts again )

And as for the above..... Looks like a lot of us has learned something today :)

When removing all neutrals I'm guessing you mean with mcb's switched to off with the main breaker on?? Otherwise the neutrals would become live.
(just an apprentice and I like to be sure of these things!) hahaha 

RCBO's - They are the future!!! I got so fed up with RCD's and shoddy quality I only fit new boards decked out with RCBO's now, cost has come down so much its not all that much extra IMHO.

Please supply a better drawing.

William Heath Robinson was a fantasic guy, using his methods I’ve got umpteen industrial plants going. What’s wrong with a brush stale holding a circuit breaker closed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make i clear Tony when i replied i was in no way having a go . it was just a scinario that i have come across , and the reason i mentioned the outside lights , electricity can do wird things and with the addition of RCD make the whole job more intresting

RCBO's - They are the future!!! I got so fed up with RCD's and shoddy quality I only fit new boards decked out with RCBO's now, cost has come down so much its not all that much extra IMHO.

But don't you need an RCBO for each circuit, as opposed to having a single RCD that covered a few? Or can you get RCBOs that can cover more than one circuit?

Cheers

Just to make i clear Tony when i replied i was in no way having a go . it was just a scinario that i have come across , and the reason i mentioned the outside lights , electricity can do wird things and with the addition of RCD make the whole job more intresting
cant see why not

this is one of the worst statements ive ever read lol
For gods sake it’s not difficult if the RCD fails to trip on test, the faults in the RCD.

But don't you need an RCBO for each circuit, as opposed to having a single RCD that covered a few? Or can you get RCBOs that can cover more than one circuit?

Cheers
You can, as with MCBs, put more than one circuit into an RCBO but it's not good practice. There's nothing wrong with mixing RCBO's, MCB's and an RCD(s) in a consumer unit if you want to achieve that (and have the necessary module space).

i know the wirings messy inside, but ive got no slack on any cables to try neaten it up so its the best i can get it. still havent got job sorted only just got access to property again

12082011964.jpg

Is the neutral blocks linked out.??????? Hard to make it out properly

When Tony sees this I reckon there might be a bit of a -------ing lol

Last edited:
thats the way it came :/ never used an mk board before

Are you being serious?

yet again im shocked to what basic knowledge an electrician has, very worrying some of the posts you come across on this forum

Id identified that problem within 5 seconds of opening the photo, more than likely because im time-served, and im pretty sure others identified it too

me too. the main switchy is on gthe wrong side of the board. :hurray:

Reply to trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net